Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with "cheap" basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KAOSBass, Oct 2, 2005.

1. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    Now I know most of oyu are into mid to high end basses, but I'm needing something I can put together, or just by straight out for around $200. I've been looking at some imports like:

1.SX
    2.Spector
    3.OLP

And I've been looking at some old U.S. Peaveys like the Foundation and Dyna-Bass.

I just need it to do some recording with for now, and to "beat" on until I get my "real" bass built...

Thanks for your opinions.

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    If you are looking to buy used I would suggest trying to find a mid 80's Ibanez Roadstar. They sell on Ebay for around 125 - 200 bucks and will give you years of trouble free service. Great value for money. :eek:

3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Look for a used Peavey T-40. They can go anywhere from around 200-400, and they'll give you amazing bang for your buck.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I say either SX or Ibanez Roadstar...

5. I recently got a dirt cheap Aria Pro II Magna series something or other, was pretty cheap on ebay and is a not too shabby bass :D

6. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    ^

7. You can find used USA made Peavey Foundations all over the place for $200 and much less. They are nice basses and the "Super Ferrite" pichups sound great. I don't think you can do better for the money.

8. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Much as I agree with the other posters here, about looking for a better quality used bass, out of the new ones on your list, I'd tentatively speak up for the OLP. :bag:

I have the 5-string version, which I bought when I went out shopping for an extra string (with a decent sized budget) and promised myself that I'd buy the best feeling and sounding bass, regardless of cost. Imagine my horror (and my wallets' delight) when it turned out to be the OLP (great b string tension and a nice, punchy, Ray-like sound). Presumably, the 4-string sounds just as good?

I've seen some sexy new colourschemes on those now (black, with rosewood board, black hardware and a grey pearl guard). So now, they don't even look cheap!

All of my other basses cost a lot more than the OLP (not trying to show off here, merely trying to clarify my perspective), but I'm, always happy to use it.