Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help With Choice of Amps, Please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oxyron, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Oxyron

Oxyron

Nov 30, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    Hi
    Im having a hard time deciding between these 3 systems. Ive played them all, with the exception of the Carvin, and like what I hear. So Im having difficulties deciding which to purchase and I decided to throw it out to the knowledgable folk here at TB:) (Ive surfed the boards for awhile and a lot of you guys like Eden, but sadly enough thats probably outta my price range)

GK 400RB with 210 and 115RBS

SWR 2004 (or 4004) with 210T and 115T

Carvin R600 with RL210T and RL115

Theyre all within my price range (under $1200). I need the 210 (a 410 would be slaughter:D) for a church group and jazz band at school. I get run through a PA then, and the Carvin seems like it gives me the most control over my sound, but then again Im not sure since Ive never played one. The 115 would see action with a rock band I play with at gyms/halls/outdoor gigs.

Any input on these 3 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    You might consider breaking things up a bit and buying an amp from one company and a head from another; buy what's good from whoever makes it.

From what I know of the ones you mentioned, the Carvin is much fancier than the other heads.

I have had a little experience with the SWR offerings and they sounded fine and were nicely portable.

3. Oxyron

Oxyron

Nov 30, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    If I break down, will I still be able to stay under the $1200? Because I've looked very briefly at that route, and it seems that it might be harder to do. But that could be an option if anyone else has some ideas on this as well? Thanks

Dave

4. Get the Carvin RL810 stack...with the RL1000 and 810 cab for $1199....

5. Oxyron

Oxyron

Nov 30, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    The 810 is too much and hard to transport for jazz band and church playing. I wish I could but it would just be too much sound and too hard to move.

Dave

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Try out the 4004 (the 2004 is underpowered for both cabs) with the 2X10 and 1X15. I have those cabs and am pretty happy with them. I have a Hartke 5000 which I use for bi amping. The only gripe about the SWR WM cabs is that the tweeters are kinda hissy.

7. Oxyron

Oxyron

Nov 30, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks marley...I didnt notice the tweeter hiss when I played because the Sam Ash guy kept it pretty low and I didnt hear it. So I guess I'll cross out the 2004 head. Thanks. I also originally looked at Hartkes but heard they clip too easily so I was going to avoid them.

Dave

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Which Hartke did you have clipping problems? My 5000 has never clipped. The advantage of the 5000 is that it is bi-amped, so you can send the low freq to the 1x15 and the highs to the 2x10, or you can run mono. It is not bridgeable, however.

Good luck with your decision.

9. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I haven't tried any carvins but I would reccomend staying away from a carvin's graphic EQ unless you know the setting you are looking for. But hey maybe that's just my opion.

I have 21 band boss graphic EQ and I could never hope to use that many settings!

I've have however played through the the swr and the gallien krueger.

My suggestion go for the GK!!!

I found when I tried the GK400RB I found it quick, responsive, punchy and it gave me 4 strings of well rounded definition.

Actually I liked it so much I'm going to be getting one very soon.

However if you are using a 5 string you may want to look at an addittional 210 or 15 down the road no matter what you get.

10. Oxyron

Oxyron

Nov 30, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    As for the Hartke goes...it was a 3500 with two 410TP's. Im not a huge fan of the aluminum cones either...I think they give off a too "brassy" of a sound. It was a friend of mines...I think on the 4 or somewhere about halfway it would start to clip. Maybe it was something he had done to mess it up. But that was the last time Ive played/used Hartkes.

Most likely down the road I would throw on another 210 and 115...after I get another bass, that is. And as far as the Carvin EQ goes, Im pretty sure I know what sound Ill want. Ill have to keep a certain tone for jazz band and playing at church. The rock band would be a more diversified in sound, so I could use a wider range there.

I guess its either the GK or Carvin now...Thanks guys.

Dave