1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with choosing a beginner's amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LmTz, Jan 8, 2012.

1. LmTz

LmTz

Jan 8, 2012
    Did some research through the internet, and I ended up with these two options (both within the same price range):

-Ampeg BA-108
    -Fender Rumble 15

Which one is better? The BA-108's got a higher wattage (25W against 15W of the Rumble 15). Both have a 8" speaker. It may sound obvious to take the Ampeg, but I don't know, what do you guys have to say? Any other suggestion? Thanks in advance ;)

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Neither is "better", both are different. Choose with your ears if at all possible.

3. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    I own and use the Fender Rumble 15 for practicing/playing in my apartment. It is a great little amp with surprisingly good volume and you can get a pretty alright tone as well. Very portable and a solid build. I got mine used for $25 on my local Craigslist. But I agree look into each and then choose one based on what you hear and like.

4. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    Haven't had any problems with my Fender Rumble 15, plenty loud enough to play with an acoustic guitar and sounds good enough to me for a practice amp.

5. if you can get something used for cheap go for it, but for not much more you can get an amp with enough power to grow into, nothing worse than buying something , then realizing 6 months later that you need more power because you are jammingwith other players and you dont have the power to be heard

6. ian_s

ian_s

Jul 10, 2009
    They have a very different sound. Can you try before you buy?

7. You are not going to play in a band or perform with those amps, right? Even 100W is puny in a metal band...