Help with choosing amp (combo)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flexo, Jun 17, 2005.

1. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia

I know ive posted a few times about amps so i promise this will be my last one for the time being!

I'm looking for a good combo that will be loud enough to play in a band situation. I have looked around and so far have found these couple amps that are in my price range. I've also listed the price in Australian dollars that i have found them for.

-Ashdown MAG300 1x15 - $AU895
    -Warwick Sweet 15 - $AU1148
    -Laney HCM160B 1x15 - $AU698
    -Laney R3 Richter 165 1x15 - $AU933
    -Ibanez SW100 - $AU720
    -Roland DB-500 160 watt - $AU898
    -Fender Rumble 100 - $629

Can anyone give me any opinions/recommendations on the various amps? Also i know some of them may be pushing it in a band situation, which of these would not be loud enough?

Also if anyone has any other suggestions then please let me know!

2. 1+ for Ashdown MAG300 1x15

Other suggestion: Hartkey Kickback "15 or "12
  3. Got To Groove

Got To Groove Guest

Jun 14, 2005
  4. I'm only familiar with the Ashdown amps.....and unfortunately only the Electric Blue series and the ABM series (both of which I own). But I would suggest that the MAG series amps will be good enough amps - just no tube 'warmth' to dial in!
  5. thesmallprint

Jan 4, 2005
    hey flexo where are you getting your amp from. Kosmic? Ive generally found them to be great also Mega Music gave me a whopping great deal on mine
  6. +1 on the Ashdown MAG300.

I'm in a similar situation, I'm looking to upgrade my current combo and was lucky enough to play one of these babies recently, best sound I have ever got out of a combo amp. Period.
  7. flexo

May 3, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Thanks for the replies so far everyone!

Ive so far only checked kosmic and thats where i got the price for the ashdown. All the other prices were from a website which i forget the name of (ill post it later).

I'm gonna shop around so i think i might give megamusic a call too then! Also what amp did you get from megamusic?

Since were talking about guitar shops, i have great experiences with the rock inn too. Ive bought two guitars and a bass there, all at really good prices.

As far as amps go, it looks like the ashdown seems to be the popular choice, so ill look into that.
    Has anyone had any experiences with any of the other amps listed? Can any of them rival the ashdown MAG 300's?