Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with choosing my next head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 12, 2003.

1. http://www.daddys.com/bhead.shtml
    used
    PEAVEY FIREBASS BLACK 700WT, BASS HEAD VERY GOOG CONDITION 419.99

versus

used
    G&K 1001 RB BLACK 540W BIAMP HEAD VERY GOOD CONDITION 499.99 GAL0122

Im looking for punch, and growl that will make a fender jazz bass sound like it does with out all the muddy boomy sound, the real bite kind of tone. Acording to the G&K website, that head is not the wattage stated, it is in the 700s, and is also bi ample. I think the peavey would be easier for me to use, and cheaper, but might not have a good tone.

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    The Peavey is rated 700W@2Ohms, 500W@4Ohms
    The older RB1001 are rated 540W in total, I think 500W go to the woofer (at 4Ohms). So power rating is about the same, but I don't know which one is more powerful "in real life".

Personally I like the tone of the GK MUCH better than the Peavey.

Matthias

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    The GK is 540 Watts into 4 Ohms. You're talking about the Mark-I head. The website describes the Mark-II head. You probably won't bi-amp the GK, as it's not your standard bi-amp setup. It sounds just fine full range. I've played both, prefer the GK. The Peavey isn't bad either. Try 'em and pick the one you like.

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I always shop at Daddy's and those prices are nagotiable to a point, Daddy's is a great music store chain.
    Those are to different heads you are going to have to try them both and buy with your ears!
    Good luck

5. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    Someone just stole a Fender bass out of my local Daddy's. He asked to see a bass, and when the salesdude looked away he took off. "He had holes in his ears you could put your finger through, and tattoos on his neck". Sound familiar to anyone?

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    GK player here. FYI...

the older 1001rb has separate power amps for bi-amping: 540 watts for lows, and 50 watts for the highs. If you run it full range, you're using the 540 watt amp, the the 50 watt amp is not used. The newer 1001rb II has more power.

Info on the older model may have been taken down at the GK site.

7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    You can get a brand new GK 700RB II for $499. 480 watts and better built than the amps you mentioned.

8. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Ooh get a head with brown hair, no no blonde. Just kidding:D ;) :bassist: