Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP with chord

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paniak17, Apr 3, 2005.

1. ok well i dont really do this but.......im writing this song and theres this really obscure chord in it that i want to get rid of. ok well the melody line has an E a G and a D in it. I've tried a d chord and it doesnt work. My chord im using right now KINDA works, but it seems off by something. Its X-O-O-2-1-X
    (use standard guitar tuning EADGBE) and i dont even know what to call it. ive tried using a D a Gb diminished and this one. and this one works best. ANYOTHER suggestions are welcome.

2. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
  3. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Hmm, kinda hard to offer suggestions without knowing adjacent chords in the song (like trying to suggest a word in a sentence knowing a couple letters of the word, but not knowing what the other words in the sentence are)...

I'm wondering if you're not liking that C in your chord. Maybe try X-0-0-2-0-X?

On the other hand, ironically, a C chord might be just the ticket: X-3-2-0-1-0. E and G are part of that chord, and the D is a nice tension (the 9th).

4. Since there's an E a G and D in melody, maybe you can use an Emin7 chord? As PlayTheBass mentioned, it's hard to offer suggesestions without knowing the other chords in the song. The chord that you are using could possibly be a Dmin7 or a D7, but with an omitted 3rd.

Hope that helps. :)