1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with combo amps for solo bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by benchpress11782, Oct 17, 2013.

1. benchpress11782

benchpress11782 Supporting Member

May 23, 2007
    Hello all. I am looking for a combo amp. I play the likes of Stuart Clayton and Michael Manring solo bass. Any ideas would help a lot. Thanks.

2. Maraki

Maraki

May 2, 2012
    How loud are you looking for? I use my Fender Rumble 350 (2x10) for jams and solos and some pa support gigs, and it does that nicely, with watts to spare. But if you want something really light, it probably isn't the exact model for you. Something like a 1x15 might be better suited for volume and portability.

3. I'm fond of the GK MB combos. Lightweight, 200 watts, different speaker configurations, affordable, and you can add a powered cab if you need more firepower.

I think Michael Manring is using Markbass gear last I saw so you might want to look at their combos as well. Different sound than GK.

4. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I never heard of the people you mention, but I really don't see what role any other bass player should have in the selection of a combo amp. If these are artists you have heard on a recording, the sound you hear is most likely obtained by their instrument being connected directly to a studio recording interface. A more useful criteria for selecting an amplifier, and speaker, or a combo amp, would take into account the circumstances under which you intend to use it. Do you need an amp that you will use on a gig, with no bass in the PA?

5. given that Manring sounds very close live to his recorded sound I'd say it's a legit question.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Anything that sounds good... maybe give us more specs.

7. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Manring seems to like the Markbass combos these days, as does Jeff Berlin (who has a signature combo), so maybe look into those.

8. NightCat

NightCat

Apr 4, 2013
    Oregon
    I think given the OP's references I would guess he's looking for a very HiFi sound. Not really my thing so the only things that come to mind all depend on budget.
    "Relatively" cheap - Used SWR combos like the Workingman series, redhead, basic black or the rare Baby Blue...etc
    Super HiFi and spendy - Phil Jones Briefcase Amp
    If Money is no object then Mesa Walkabout Scout would kill it!

9. Not cheap, but AER makes some really good amps. Great voicing, lots of power for their size.

10. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    Barefaced cab with markbass head.
    Light and loud.