1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with deciding

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klejst, Jan 14, 2012.

1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    I have been keeping my eye out the last couple weeks for a new/second Fender bass (my current on is a '98 MIM Fender P Standard). I have narrowed it down these three and would like opinions and input base on experience on which the TB community feels is the better choice and deal. I have tried these basses and to be honest I like them all, but can only buy one :(

1. Mid 80's Fender Precision Bass, Priced at $645.

2. Late 90's Fender Jazz Bass, Priced at $500.

3. '10 Fender American Hwy 1 P-Bass, Prices $620. Is it true on these have a slimmer neck than the older Precisions?

I play mostly rock and modern rock based tones and use a pick most of time. What say you all?

2. finfrocka

finfrocka

Jul 12, 2005
    San Diego
    If you prefer the p basses more than the jazz but want to change it up I would highly recommend a p bass special which has the jazz pick up at the bridge. I just put one together recently and LOVE it. Perfect p bass tone with a very believable jazz tone with both pick ups turned up. And you can get that jazz bridge tone as well if your into that.

Only thing you should keep in mind is that the bridge pickup will be in the 70s position (a little closer to bridge) so that can take getting used to but definitely not a deal breaker.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The easiest thing to do right away: do you want the Jazz bass tone or do you want another P-Bass? That will narrow some of it down.

The next idea is to decide if ANY of the basses are neck heavy. Some of the older Fenders have very heavy tuners and it's best to replace those with lighter ones (Hipshot makes lighter versions which fit PERFECTLY). If none of them are, you are golden.

P bass plus a J bass - lots of versatility. Two P-Basses - can be great for P-Bass lovers, but not much room for changing up the tone choices. Then again, it might not even matter.

You also need to look at - which bass is ready to go out of the box? Do you want/have to switch out the bridges, pickups, pre-amps and so on before the bass is rocking hard for you? The 80's bass might need more work than the other two.

You should also restring whatever bass you buy.

Good luck on your choice.

4. All other things being equal, and if it were my choice, I would grab the Highway One and sell off the MIM.

If you're set on keeping your MIM P, then you might want to think about grabbing the J. As already pointed out, with a P and a J, you have most bass situations covered.