Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with distorting rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gman, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm at the end of my rope. I can't seem to dial the "fart" out of my rig. Rig and signal chain is as follows. Pretty simple.

G&L L-2000> Planet Waves cable> directly into my GK 1001RB. Output from the amp is going to a Hartke 410XL and Avatar 15, or Hartke 2.5XL.

Even at stage volume, which can be pretty loud, it distorts. No clipping lights on the amp, and with a new battery in the G&L or even in passive mode, anything on the E string just kills. Terrible. Not only does it drive ME nuts, I have to listen to the guitar player whine about it.

I usually have the level set at no more than 10 oclock, and the woofer all the way up.

Does anybody have any tips? I'm prepared to buy new cabs. What do you suggest for this head for clean, clean, clean tone?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    What EQ settings on the amp are you using?

Are you boosting the lows (with the Active Electronics) on the Bass?

Is it just the low notes that cause the problems?

3. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Josh,

Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't hurt to have him check it out.

Redneck,

It is in active or passive mode. Of course it's worse in active, but still there either way. It isn't only the low notes, but an open E makes me want to crawl under a rock.

Dave

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    It seems like you might be overdriving your amp. I'm not sure how much power the 1001rb puts out, but I used to run a hartke 3500 head into a TP410 and a TP115, and if I turned the bass up, I had the same problem.

Try lowering the bass settings on your amp and see if it clears up the problem. It might be that you just don't have enough power for the applications you're using it for.

Is this a recent problem, or has this been happening all along with your setup? Does this farting happen when you're plugged into just ONE cabinet, or only two?