1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with distortion, keeley rat, boss ls-2, equalizer, everything!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jimmy462, Nov 30, 2006.

1. jimmy462

jimmy462

Nov 2, 2005
    Tennessee
    ok i bought a keeley modded rat because i love the sound of a rat, but i still find that it's sucking too much of my low end. what should i do?would it be enough to run a boss equalizer after the rat or do i need to think more in terms of blending my signal? like using a boss LS-2...i did a search and read some stuff on the LS-2, but this blending stuff is WAY over my head..could someone help and tell me EXACTLY how i would set up a Boss LS-2 to accomplish this?

also i have 5 other effects along with the rat, how would they be set up using the line selector?would they be in a seperate loop as the rat...haha..im totally lost

help!thanks!

2. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I never used a LS-2 but I do the blending thing in my setup. I think for the LS-2 you put the rat in loop A and leave loop B blank, then set the pedal so both loop A and B are in use and use the B signal for your clean sound to blend in there. As for your other effects, just put them in line after the LS-2 (or before depending what other effects you are using) so it is basically taking the place of the Rat in your signal chain.

I hope this is right, if it isn't someone please correct me and tell him the right way.

3. jimmy462

jimmy462

Nov 2, 2005
    Tennessee
    thanks for the help!
    Jazz Ad are you around?you seem to be the expert on this pedal:)
    what would happen if i put the rat by itself in line A, and put the rest of my effects in line B? basically what i am saying is what if i want to blend my unaffected signal more with the rat than with the other pedals, but still be able to use a little bit of blend on the others?

4. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    For blending with LS-2:

Put your effect into Loop A.
    Put your bass into Loop B.

So it looks like this:

Effect in -> Loop A in -> Loop A out -> Effect out (or reverse, I don't remember the order :))
    From Bass -> Loop B in -> Loop B -> your amp input.

Now set your LS-2 in "A + B MIX" and you're now able to use the two volume controls for clean and effect volume.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    One thing that I noticed about the LS-2 is that it doesn't offer an option to put the two loops in SERIES. That makes it so that if you ran all your effects in-series before you get the LS (which is the only way you CAN, before you get the LS!), then you distribute the effects between the two loops - you can no longer get the sound you used to, because you can never put them back in-series again.

For mixing clean with effects, I believe what you'd do is put some effects in one loop, and just jump the other loop to itself (like plug send right back into the return) - then, in "A-B mix" mode, use those mixer knobs to blend them.

Dang -- I just got an idea! You could put a simple, PASSIVE R-C lowpass filter (literally TWO electronic components) into one loop. That way, you're mixing-back only the LOWS from the clean signal! Cool. (Let's see: "one over two-pi arrr-seeee"... so for a 160Hz cutoff freq (about two octaves above low-E), you could use 10KOhm and 0.1µF

-- Hm: maybe 5KOhm and 0.2µF would be better... Yeah. Or 0.4µF would give you 80Hz. I s'pose a variable resistor would be the answer to really be able to dial-it-up right - OK, I got it: "R" would be a 3300-fixed, in-series with a 10K variable; "C" would be 0.3µF. That would give you low pass adjustment between 40Hz and 160Hz - a two octave swing. Bingo.

STILL brainstorming! (edit): Well, dang-it! ..Then you could just-as-well use a little matching high pass, and you'd have a blendable crossover with seperate processing for highs and lows.

I'm getting an LS-2 now FOR-SURE!

Joe

6. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    Im sorry, but no, u put your bass into the normal input and then keep loop b blank, then put the Rat in loop A then put the nomal out put out to the amp.

7. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    You're right :) Just tested it with my LS-2.. have only used it a few times, I didn't think the blending were so great with it, so I ordered a VFB-2 which I'm extremely happy with ;)