Help with Double Bass Pickup EQ, Compression, etc.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by arbous65, Jun 2, 2021.

1. arbous65

arbous65

Jan 23, 2021
    Calgary, Canada
    Hi there,
    I just added Vic’s Pickup Model D to my bass. I just use it to add more possibilities for sound capture in my home studio for recording and adding effects.
    I ran it to my multi effect pedal board Digitech RP360 although it is for guitar but with a basic Bassman amp modeling and access to EQ and of course using it as a DI since the input accepts hi-Z like guitar passive pickup. I’m trying to dial in a thick punchy sound but leaving a bit of high frequencies for more sense of acoustic instrument and air / transparency. I found if I bring down the mud frequencies, it allows the lows and highs to be more revealing. I thought I check see if there are some baseline settings that would be a good start point to find other possibilities.
    I think for compressor I need to set long attack (thud to come out) but would be interested to know your settings.
    Alternatively I’m willing to look into budgeting a downstream bass signal treatment. I’m hoping to get the tone right to go directly from the preamp/effect unit to the recording. Don’t have room for proper sound insulation for a real bass amp although I know it would probably make things right easier tone-wise. Also I like to know what other effects you use (delay, reverb and the settings). Thank you

2. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Kind of depends on what music and sound you’re looking to make. IMO a pickup is never going to sound “real” enough for a recording, so if that’s what you’re going for even a budget mic will do the trick better than any pickup.

If you’re looking to explore sounds, then you’re already on the right track. Basses, pickups, goals are all so variable that settings that “work” for me may not for you.

One thing that’s pretty universal is that you’d want the the input impedance of whatever you put right after your pickup to be high, do some reading up on that and see what your fx box has. If it’s too low consider buying a proper buffer before anything else, doesn’t have to be expensive.

dhergert and arbous65 like this.
  3. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I quick looked up your fx, it has an Input Impedance of 1 MOhm. From what I know that’s generally reasonable for piezo pickups like yours so I don’t know that a buffer will make a big difference in your setup.

arbous65 likes this.
  4. arbous65

arbous65

Jan 23, 2021
    Calgary, Canada
    Thanks a lot for your response and checking the impedance. You are right about the mic sound quality compared to pickup.

Arya

5. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I'd add that most of Zac Victor's pickups are functional without a pre-amp, especially because he uses a dual piezo design in his pickups. But if you're looking for a blend-able stereo signal from his multiple piezo pickups, you may want a multi-channel pre-amp for blending those signals. The Model D, if fitted with a stereo jack, would be one of those situations where the multi-channel pre-amp could be helpful. Zac discusses this kind of situation on his website.

arbous65 likes this.
  6. arbous65

arbous65

Jan 23, 2021
    Calgary, Canada
    Great to know! Thanks!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021