1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with Drop D

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alan Wilson, Jan 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hi all. I'm looking for the best solution to a simple problem, namely the best way to set up for one song which needs drop d. Its Summer of 69, well popular with our audiences. I've tried swapping basses mid set, retuning, but neither is a great solution, I've reverted to playing it with normal tuning for now, also I'm not keen on using the 5 string option. I've set up a simple patch on my shiny new Zoom B1Xon and it works, but theres a weird kinda ringmod thing going on which may sound OK or not, I'll find out when we play it tomorrow. Any suggestions guys, whats your best solution? Its just not the same without that low D in the chorus....

2. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Love drop-D. I use the old-style Hipshot (great company) d-tuners. These are the older Schaller-based machines. The new ones are no doubt better but I like the look of the older ones as they match the other three machines. Those "bass x-tenders" really work great.
    Throw the lever, you're in drop-D. Swing it back and your back to standard. Perfect.

jimfist, CapnSev, Fuzzbass and 17 others like this.
  3. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Pitchshifting---a blind shootout for your perusal
    TL;DR the Digitech Drop is the best for this sort of thing. It's great on guitar and imperfect but decent on bass, YMMV. But that's only droptuning, it's not truly "Drop D" (DADG).

basscapes likes this.
  4. Sorry about the wrong title, I actually want droptuning, not drop d! I did consider hipshot extenders but they would cost a fortune and they're not easy to get hold of inthe UK, especially as I'm a lefty.

5. My recommendation is always to play a 5 string, and you never have to retune anything.

What is your aversion to a 5 string?

6. I struggle spanning a wide neck, that's what I love about my P bass, its got a J bass neck, also it's just for one song. I'm just being picky about that low D in the chorus...

7. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I swear someone could start one of these threads and point out “I am asking for a pedal option because if I play a 5-string/play multiple basses/retune between songs/etc. I will literally DIE” and ten people would still ask “why not a five-string though?”

8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I tune DGCF so never had a problem with that song :cool:.

9. Now that would be a solution, BUT... We also do All right now by Free, the solo bit involves playing right up at the top of the neck so I'd be out of frets...is there no end to this madness...

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  10. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    Get a 24-fret bass maybe? Actually, in your situation I'd probably get a Digitech pedal.

Loring and TinyE like this.
  11. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Hmm... on that part the highest fret I use is the second...
    F|- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|- - - - 2 - - - - - - - 2 - - -|
    C|- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|- - 2 - - - - - - - 2 - - - - -|
    G|1 1 - 1 0 - - - 1 - 1 - 0 - - -|0 - - - - - - - 0 - - - - - - -|
    D|- - - - - - 2 - - - - - - - 2 -|- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  12. Hipshot D-tuner. Got them on all my 4 string basses.

flon_klar and basslifter like this.
  13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    My question is why are you playing "Summer of 69" in drop D? I have played it and seen it played by many bands, never in drop D.

14. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I do use the low D in it (not in the chorus though?) but that's just because I can :) .

15. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    I would just tune it down then back up after the song. Why is that not a good solution?

trailer, Sixgunn, cataract and 6 others like this.
  16. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Honestly, if I could monetize this particular predictive power I would absolutely do that.

Marial, knumbskull, the_Ryan and 2 others like this.
  17. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp

If I could monetize it, I could almost afford and FI, I mean, maybe.

18. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Play it an octave up with an octaver pedal pushing your signal down. If you are playing it in Drop D, the added synth from lowering the bass could be a cool addition.

twocargar, skydivingninja and lz4005 like this.
  19. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    I was just curious why it's not a good solution for him. Takes too much time? Doesn't have a tuner mute and doesn't want the crowd to hear him tuning? Maybe just doesn't like to retune?

20. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    If you go around with the car you could bring 2 basses to the gig. One in Standard and one in D.

Personally I detune and retune. And I write a reminder on the set list. We also ask our singer to take this opportunity to say something to the crowd.

Mr.Ace and Roxbororob like this.