Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with drumming?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by downstairs, Sep 15, 2002.

1. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Yeah guys, I'm kinda playing drums. I'm actually pretty decent, I just can't do any fills and my arms get tired easily. I'm working on my legs by wearing some ankle weights around alot, being carefuly to not to run. Any hints for helping my arm strength?

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Just keeeeeeep practicing. Strength will come. As for the fills, it helps if you tap your bass foot to stay in time and come in on the right beat. You can follow what the bass or guitar is playing and play that same rhythm for the fills.

3. Hold you arms in a comfortable position so that you don't have to move the whole arm to hit the snare. All the drummers I have played with who had any ability and experience played from the forearm and the wrist, not the shoulder. They had no problems lasting out a four hour gig, and generally did not have bulging muscles.

The best drummer here in Ankara gigs every night. He plays, including practice, at least 50 hours a week. He hits the snare HARD and with a wrist/ forearm movement.

Conversely, if you REALLY want to develop your physical strength, offer to carry the bass players Ampeg 8x10!!