Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with duty tax

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silent method, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Has anyone ever here shipped a bass from USA to canada and what was the average duty tax on it?

Also, any tips on keeping it down. Im looking at buying and have been warned by people that it can be a bit of a gamble.

2. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Thanks to the Free Trade Agreement, there is no duty. However, you do have to pay the Provincial Sales Tax PST (8% in Ontario) and Gouge and Screw Tax GST 7%, so add 15% .

- JV

3. are you sure there is not duty tax that dosnt sound right

4. It depends on what you are buying - if you are buying a bass made in the USA, Canada or Mexico, there is no duty to be paid, however you will probably be charged customs fees for brokerage and handling, plus any applicable provincial tax that your province has, plus GST.
    If you are buying a bass made anywhere else (Korea, China, Japan, etc.) you will be charged duty according to the tariff schedule for that particular item, and country of origin.
    What type of bass are you buying?

5. wow thanks for all the info

actually its an old 1968 harmony from a guy on here

6. Don't forget the old standby technique. A gift from a friend, priceless. ;) And duty-less.
    Dirk

7. whoa! does that actually work?? wow

8. good call, since this isnt an expensive bass by any means im just going to have it claimed correctly thanks for all the input guys much appercaited

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

No, it doesn't always work. Listen to Brother SMASH.

I recently bought a watch on Ebay from Japan. The seller thought he was doing me a favour by declaring a lower value than what I paid (I didn't ask him to do this).

Canada Customs just sent it back to the seller. It took over seven weeks to get to me once the seller contacted me about the delay and I told him to put the proper sales amount on the customs declaration. Duh!

That said, request that the item be shipped United States Postal Service. UPS and Fedex can have some outlandish customs clearance fees ($30 - $40) on top of GST / PST.

USPS / Canada Post is very reasonable and you can get a tracking number too. If the item is under $20.00 you often won't even have to pay the GST / PST if it's sent by post.