1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with EBMM SR5HH setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sonicnuance, Feb 20, 2008.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    I'm loving the tones for positions 1-4 (right to left) on my Stingray5 HH. However, when I follow the instructions on the EBMM FAQ for setup, position 5 (neck pickup solo'd) has a huge volume drop and sounds weak.

Here is an excerpt:
    "Virtually all the adjustments to string height can be made with the truss rod. Turn clockwise to raise the finger board, counter clockwise to lower. The ideal string height for our basses is 3/32" or 2.4mm between the bottom of the string to the top of the fret on both the E and G strings at the 12th fret. The G string can be slightly lower due to the fact that it is the smallest string. This affects the bow of the neck.

The factory specifications for the pickup height is 6/32" or 4.76mm from the top of the plastic between the pickup covers to the bottom of the G string. The angle of the pickup is set fairly level, so the larger strings are naturally a bit closer. If you haven't already adjusted the pickup or changed to a very heavy gauge string set, you shouldn't have to do any adjustments on the pickup.

On the new 2-pickup basses, the measurements are virtually the same on the bridge pickup and the neck pickup is further away, about 8/32" or 6.35mm from the string to the pickup.
    "

So even when I do this I get a big volume drop on the neck pickup. By the way, I assumed this setup translates to a 5 string and the measurements for the "E" can be transposed to the "B" string... perhaps that is my mistake.

I've heard some say they love the sound of position five which has me scratching my head. It sounds so low in volume to me

Thanks much

Thank you