Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Eden, please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer7770, Jan 23, 2002.

1. I just received my Eden CXC-300 combo with 2-10" drivers today, and I have a few questions about it. I'm not familiar with the gain/master configuration, but I do know the combo is distorting a bit when I hit some low notes (I've only played a 4-string through it thus far). Does lowering the gain and cranking the master to desired volume usually work? Could it be the speaker? I'm just curious to see if anybody else with an Eden has had similar experiences. Thanks so much.:)

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Yes. I'm not familiar with Eden, but it's the same with any other amp. Drop your gain down to probably around 5 or so, then turn up your master to the desired volume. The higher you turn up your gain, the more of your signal is allowed into the preamp, which drives it harder, causing distortion.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Did you get a manual with it? Did you read it? In case the answer is no to either or both questiions, set the preamp gain so your loudest notes cause the clip light to flicker, then use the master to adjust volume to taste.

4. Thanks. I did read the manual, but I wasn't sure if it was logical that a bit too much gain would make the combo distort. My old Hartke 3500 didn't have a gain control. Another reason I was skeptical was because when I bought my old cab off of eBay (Hartke 4.5XL), one of the drivers was distorting and had to be replaced. I was just hoping that this was not the case with my new (to me anyway) combo. I'll try to work out the kinks tonight, and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.:)

5. I'm pretty sure now that one of the drivers is blown. The only sounds coming from it are a hiss and some distortion when I play with enough attack. I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with the gain!;) I hope I can get it replaced by UPS or the seller if he's willing to help.

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    First, yes too much gain WILL cause the combo to distort.

Second, that "enough attack" has me wondering. I don't see any way that BOTH drivers can be blown, and you would be getting plenty of sound even with just one blown driver. Check all your connections and make sure nothing is lose. Turn your gain up to about 5 and your master up to about 3. Put all EQ knobs and Enhance at 12 o'clock. Put your bass on about 7. Check and see what it sounds like now. If there is any sound and it is still distorted, lean down and see which speaker the sound is coming from. You should be able to tell which one is blown just by listening, but if not you might want to take it to a repair shop and see what they say.

7. The reason I said that the gain had nothing to do with it was because it distorted in one speaker (the other speaker works fine) with the gain set on two if I played with enough attack or had the volume up high enough. This just doesn't sound normal to me. I listened to each speaker and was able to figure which speaker I thought was blown. Like I said, the other works fine. I also have all the EQs set at 12 o'clock. Now does it sound like the speaker is blown?

8. there is no sense in arguing. if you are that positive that it's blown, then why hold such a stance?

9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    trade it for a peavey bam. no questions asked.:D

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Well, yes. It does sound like a problem with that driver instead of the amp. Be sure to check the speaker leads first, however. Sometimes a loose connection can cause a speaker to sound bad.

11. Thanks. I was going to check the connection tonight to make sure that's not the problem (Is that what you mean by speaker leads?).:oops:

Hunter, sorry if I sounded argumentative. I wasn't trying to be. I just didn't explain the situation very well, so I understand where you were coming from.

I've contacted UPS about the problem, but I'm beginning to doubt they'll do anything about it. They're supposed to pick it up Monday and take it to be inspected.:(

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, you need to check the leads themselves as they attach to the speaker. You may have to take the back (or front) off to do that. Not sure how that particular amp is made. You may have to actually pull the driver and look at the wires. I had an SWR Big Ben that sounded blown until I discovered that the leads (which were spring loaded) were simply loose on the speaker.

13. What are the leads? Is that the part to which the wires hook up? I will need to take the front grille off to access the speakers. Please excuse my ignorance.:oops:

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The leads are the wires that attach to the speaker itself, usually a red one (hot) and a black (ground) one. Often, you'll find them soldered to the speaker posts but sometimes a spring clip is used to attach them (as with the Big Ben referred to above).

15. I wouldn't do ANYTHING like that while it's under warranty!

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good point! If you're not a DIY'er, keep yer paws offa the insides and leave it to a tech.

17. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Suggestion: Perhaps your gain needs to go lower than 5. Depending on the EQ shape you have, if you're boosting a lot, you'll need to cut the gain down a bit.

Also, you should consider the bass you're using, are you using a hot circuited active bass?

If you are using an active bass, infact, make sure that your battery's not old. Active basses with old batteries tend to distort. :)

I'm not sure if anyone's said any of this, I just skimmed through the thread. :)

18. Only one of the speakers distorts, the other is fine. It distorts even with the gain on two if the volume is high enough. I've only played my Carvin LB70 through it so far.

So, as for the warranty, would this still fall under warranty? It was made in March of 1999 I believe.

19. I was under the impression you bought the amp new. If it's not, and made in 1999 it wouldn't be under warranty. Eden's warranty is 2 years.

Whew, I thought you had a new piece of junk on your hands; glad to know that's not the case cuz I'm expecting delivery on my CXC this week. Sorry for you, of course. But you should have some recourse with the outfit you bought it through.

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If it's one speaker that distorts, and the speakers are wired in parallel, it's most likely a defective speaker.

Also, it's only natural that the speakers both will distort when being pushed at incredibly high levels.

If you boost your gain to 7, you'll distort. But if you boost your volume high enough, you'll certainly distort as well.