Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with effect. I've tried a couple.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superfly, May 27, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I have a MM Sterling bass and a Mesa Boogie Buster 200 all tube 15" combo.
    I like the tone, but I am looking to add some "life" to the sound. Both on the low and high end.
    I use a Digitech bass squeeze compressor to level out the peaks and it adds alitle fattness to the tone. But the tone still seems a little dull to me.
    I tried a Sansamp to liven up the sound, but it added more noise, and didn't seem to work well with the active Sterling.
    I just tried an Aphex bass xciter, but it didn't seem to do much more than the digitech compressor, and it added some fuzz to the sound that I did'nt like.
    I don't think either the Sansamp or the Aphex worked well with my Sterling.
    I don't want to really add any fuzz or high treble, but I do want to "wake up" the clean sound of the Sterling going in to the Mesa tube combo.
    Maybe I need to experiment more with the onboard eq, or maybe the 7 band eq on the mesa?
    Any suggestions, I prefer a stomp box pedal.

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    fender jazz bass?

3. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I really don't care for a Jazz bass , but I like the P basses. I've had both, and that alone won't do it. Plus I would have to invest more $$ in pickups because we all know stock Fender pups stink.
    Plus after experiencing the quality of a Musicman bass compared to Fenders I've owned and tried..its like apples and oranges. I'm not knocking Fender, because I do love em, but the quality build of a Musicman is just way ahead of Fender.

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i would suggest playing with the EQ more. there is a lot that can be done with an EQ and a compressor. otherwise, i would consider adding a modulation effect such as a good chorus and use it very lightly.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    actually i think the chorus will work exelent with a mellow sound, but will not make your sound more mellow-er.

for the experience i had with the basses i tried i think for soundind like what you are looking for is easyer with a passive bass..... i could be wrong tough

6. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    how old are the tubes? maybe the tubes are the cause of the dull sound. Retube that with some JJs or something and it'd sound great.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Try a Sonic Maximizer. Or, try adding another cab. My Buster really sounds much fuller when I pair it with my Acme 2X10