1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with EMG hz wiring (Bart pre)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jerry Ziarko, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Two passive EMG's are being wired to a Bart NTMB pre. The Bart PU's that were in the bass the pre came from, had both the green and black wires go to the bled pot, and the red and white tied together. The EMG's have 5 wires. (red, black, white , green, and ground. How would these be wired to that pre?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Sounds like an interesting way to wire Barts given black is hot and green is ground. He must have had phase issues.

If you wanted to wire the HZ's in series it would be red to hot (blend), tie the black/white together to nothing, and tie the green/ground to ground (pot back typically) - just like it shows on the EMG site.

It will be interesting to see if you have any phase issues.

3. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    It was late when I posted. In case I wasn't clear, the green and black on the Barts were not on the same terminals. Black (hot) to one lug, green and ground to another red and white tied together. Red and white together IS the series wiring for Barts. My question is, would this be the same for the EMG Hz's. I also saw that on the EMG site that clearly red was hot and white and black were tied together. If you look above that diagram, you will see that red is negative.I always thought that wiring colors were universal. Any thoughts?
    http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMGHZ-35-40-45.pdf

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    LOL. You're right. I have the hard copy and only looked at the wiring to the pot. Looks like a blatant contradiction and perhaps there's a rhyme or reason or they just screwed up in the proof read. I'll ask Davidravenmoon, he'll know.

Whatever the reason it should work as the pot wiring shows. You're not going to smoke anything regardless.

There's is NOTHING universal in the bass world - never assume anything cause it will only cause grief - verify.

5. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Thanks, I would really appreciate that. I took the pre out of my Roscoe and just sold it to another TB'er. He has EMG Hz's in the bass he is dropping it into. I want to make the swap as easy as possible for him, but this does have me a little perplexed. Once again, ANY help would be welcome!

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I PM'd David so he'll probably jump in when he picks it up. He knows EMG's well. I've had the HZ's but it's been a while and I just usually wire stuff till it works.

7. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    OK... here I am. :)

It looks like the EMG HZ pickups follow DiMarzio's wiring scheme. As you may have noticed, every pickup maker uses a different color code for their pickups.

In EMG's case, they call the black and white wires the (+) end of the coil, and the green and red (-). I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Red is hot, green is ground, and white and black are the series connection between the two coils.

Here's the wiring for this color code system including series/parallel etc.

Wiring for DiMarzio Humbucking Pickups

It would be nice if pickup makers used a standard color code system, but they don't. DiMarzio was probably the first with four conductor wiring (the Dual Sound Humbucker, which was the Super Distortion with 4/C wiring and a switch), so I follow them for my pickups. Less confusion for me.

Just for the record:

DiMarzio: Red=hot, green=ground, black+white together.

Duncan: Black=hot, Green-ground, red+white together.

Gibson: Red=hot, Black=ground, green+white together.

Schaller: Yellow=hot, green=ground, brown+white together.

Lawrence: Red=hot, Black=ground, green+white together

Armstrong: red/pink=hot, green=ground, black/blue+white together

Gotoh: White=hot, black=ground, green+red together

Fralin: White=hot, black=ground, green+red together

Confusing, no? Schaller obviously wanted to make it clear who's pickup you are working on! They didn't follow the usual set of colors.

So.. are you using a blend pot or separate volumes? It would work the same way... the red wire from the EMG goes to the same connection the black wire from the Bart did, and the green to ground. And black and white together.

Hope that answered the question.

8. Jerry Ziarko

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Are you kidding?? I can't thank you enough. That is a great amount of knowledge that I will be saving forever. My deepest gratitude!

9. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    :D

You're welcome. Glad I can help.