Help with English:John Grisham

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by page, Oct 26, 2005.

1. For english I gotta read any John Grisham book of my choice. Im not real familliar with his work, so could any of you that are suggest one? We are not able to read A time to Kill or The Chamber since those are his most popular . So what else is good? I'd like to read one that isn't set in Mississippi........

2. The only one I've read is The Pelican Brief. Not bad, but not my type of thing. I've heard good things about The Firm, A Painted House, The Rainmaker, and The Client(he does seem to go awful nuts with the use of the word The in his titles).
  3. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    thats too bad a time to kill is my fav
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good luck getting through one of his books. Only book I ever read by him was The Firm. It's a good plotline and a million times better than the crap movie, but John Grisham's writing style is about as exciting as an insurance contract. How he got popular I will never know.
  5. You said it. Thats one of the reasons I didn't like Pelican Brief so much. Chuck Palaniuk books on the otherhand I can read in several hours, good writing style, interesting plot and plot twists, and he wrote Fight Club so +1 for that(well, most of his new book was forgettable, apart from the short stories, which were like 1/3 of the book, they were quite amazing).

Oh and if you want to not purchase one of his books, I've got a used copy of The Pelican Brief you could have. I read it once and probably won't read it again, and its just taking up space on my bookshelf.
  6. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'm surprised that an English class would require you to read a book of such dubious literary value.
  7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Unfortunately, A Time to Kill is his best book for anaylisis. You have all the racial stuff, as well as decent character development.. same with the Chamber...

soo.. The Rainmaker is pretty good.. lots of tension between themain character and the protaganist.. The whole book is about Ethics.. and not just in a legal setting..

Runaway Jury isn't too bad... kinda amusing...

The Firm and The Client are alos good reads... I'd pick the Client over The Firm for an English class.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was going to say exactly that - dumbing down? - when there are so many great books to read, that have lasting value and are much more interesting and entertaining!! :meh:

Is this the same country that produced Mailer,Bellow,Pynchon, Vonnegut etc. etc.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's probably just the last resort to motivate students to read books for school...
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well my personal view is that it would put anybody off reading for life!!

My "cynical side", says that teachers are thinking that the lazy kids could get away without having to read at all and could just watch one of the many films made of these books and produce some kind of report based on that...:meh:
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was thinking the same thing.

After that do they have to read a romance novel?

brad cook
  12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I believe the Harlequin Romance series is next in the curriculum.

While his books are entertaining, they are hardly english class material. More like fast food or a Hollywood action flick.
  13. burntgorilla

Jan 24, 2005
    Um, A Painted House is good, but not much room for analysis. The Testament isn't set in Mississippi, and he has one called The Street Lawyer, which is about a lawyer in New York who goes to help homeless people, so that could certainly give you some scope.
  14. I've read a few of his books, and I guess they're decently entertaining, but honestly, how far away from actual literature can our English classes get?

As for using these books as a motivation to read, that makes sense in some way, but they're kind of lengthy, which would probably puts a lot of apathetic students off. Might as well assign something like Of Mice and Men, which is very short and readable, yet worthy of writing about.

I'd recommend A Painted House as your Grisham novel - I thought it was his best, probably because it had nothing to do with the law, a topic he wore out a long time ago.
  15. I concur.

Grisham is awful.
  16. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    That's pretty subjective.
  17. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    John Grisham - two dimensional characters, repetitive plot, an absolutley left wing message in every story - wait, there it is! That's why it's assigned reading. The literary value of his stuff is absolute crap.
  18. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Well I'm a pretty subject, what's your point punk? :D
  19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Lay off Toasted...he likes his Grisham and romance novels..and the occasional self-help book (preferably Dr. Phil).

brad cook

20. Well my teacher has this thing with Mississippi authors. I don't need any motivatioin to read, I read on my own. Though courtroom dramas aren't my thing, I more of a epic/horror/just plain weird novel guy.