Help with eq settings please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azfryguy, Feb 24, 2010.

1. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
  2. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    the best thing to get your sound is to set all parameters to flat and turn off all boost button ...start from there!

3. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    When you're setting your EQ, this is more of a matter of personal preference, what genre you like to play, etc. It's next to impossible to give a set EQ that will sound good, because similar EQ settings will sound different on varying amplifiers, cabinet setups, etc.

With that being said, start with everything flat. All tone knobs at 12 o clock, any "deep" or "bright" etc. extra switches off. It likely won't sound great, but this is where you start experimenting. If your bass is active, try to do at least some of your EQ from the bass. If your bass is passive, move on to the next step.

Turn the bass up and down until you get the right amount of low end that you like. Try playing with each tone knob individually like this so you get an idea of the amp/cab setup's characteristics. Another thing you can do is get the gain set right. Turn the master all the way down, and play your bass at your maximum volume as you turn the gain up. When you see the "clip" indicator light up, dial it back until you don't see that anymore. Then control your volume with the master.

Hopefully that gets you started, if you have any other specific questions don't hesitate to ask :)

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

And remember - how it sounds when you are playing by yourself has Nothing to do with how it will sound in a band setting.

5. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    you got to watch your Mid's tones, to much and you're sounding like a hollow box and to little and you have muddy bass.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    What's wrong with your tone? What don't you like about it? What cab are you using? (A Kustom Groove Bass cab?) What tone do you want?

I have the older model of the 1300HD (the 1200HD). It's the same head as yours except with twice as much power to my knowledge. I can give you tips / advice as a first-hand owner.

I was never happy with my head (1200HD) + cab (GB 410H) combination. I sold a perfectly good P Bass because I though it was the bass when really I couldn't get tones I liked from this monster. It was the exact opposite of what I was looking for. It was clear, defined, and didn't color the tones. I wanted gnarly, dirty, SVT tone and that it does not do. (I'll be trading both for an SVT-II shortly in fact!)

However, with a compressor in front, the amp can sound super cool for more modern and funky tones. It'll shake the dance hall if you let it, even with just a 410 under it.

Anyways, I ran the head through my SVT810E with a Tech 21 Bass VT in front, and hot damn! It ROARS. The Bass VT gave me the tone I wanted and the Kustom gave me 800 watts to back it with. :D

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Big +1 to the answers thus far, and I'll just add, if you've gone through all these steps, and still not happy, then it's your combo you don't like. Maybe you need to check out some other amps.

8. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    Never underestimate the power of personal preference. "Good" tone is about as subjective as you can get. What kind of music do you like? Which bassists or recordings do you like the tone of?

9. If your not liking the solid state, try getting a VT pedal, or BDDI.

10. I used to fight my Boogie bass head to get it to sound good. Then I bothered to talk to someone at boogie abou the head and they hipped me to the idiosyncrasies of teh EQ. Its flat at 2-10-2 (bass mid treble).
    Once I got a handle on where flat was at, I had a much better time getting to where I wanted to be.

I am not familiar with your head at all, but a lot a lot of heads these days are best set up flat, then tweaked for the cabinet du jour.

11. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    tanks alot guys its sounding really good i like my bass to sound punchy and clear that being said what should i do with my 9 band graphic eq

12. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Play with it. Move one or two sliders at a time and get accustomed to what frequency range they boost/cut. It can help you shape your tone immensely and put you a lot closer to that tone in your head.

13. refbassist

refbassist

Mar 3, 2007
    boost your mids 400 parameter and turn off the -12db and see how it sounds and if it needs more bass and treble you have the rest of the EQ move each one at at time and see how it goes.

14. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    huh????

15. With most cabs I find that cutting some mids or lo mids helps to clear things up. Then adjust your highs and lows to cope with differeent playing environments. In a bright reflective room cut the highs a bit. In a packeclub or a really acoustically dead room boost the highs a tad. Out doors boost the lows, in a small room, or in a corner of a room, cut the lows.
    Of course different basses, strings and playing styles mandate different eq strategies.
    Overall, the more eq settings tend to get you in more trouble. The more subtle eq settings are easier to work with and sound best in the long run.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021