Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help with extender keys!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass1, May 7, 2005.

1. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    The problem is that I am in a metal band. My guitarist requires alot of drop d tuning and straight e tuning...and i gotta do it fast...I need a way to go from drop d to e and back quickly.i'm looking into extender keys and I would like some help with them. I did a search and i came up with hipshot's model. But, that price of 60 bucks is not for me....does anyone else make 'em for cheaper than that?

any input would help...thanks

(P.S. i didnt know where to post this...feel free to move it)

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    other than finding one used, i don't know of a cheaper alternative. that being said, hipshots are the bombdiggity. they are pretty accurate and easy to use (like flipping a switch ;) ). they are high quality pieces too, so they'll last ya'....

3. Do these keys switch from E down to D and back, or is it a one way trip?

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    It's a return trip. I ahd a bass with one and they work great! Check it out at http://www.hipshotproducts.com/xtenders.htm

A cheaper alternative is to group all your "drop d" songs together. While your front man is talking to the audience, do a quick d-tune by playing the open D string as a reference and lowering the E until it's at pitch. Then fine tuen it by hitting the D harmonic on the E strings 5th fret and the harmonic on the D strings 12 th fret.

I prefer an in-line tuner with a big display so I can do this silently.

5. You think that GB-7 would fit a 1985 Ibanez Musician bass? Considering how scratched up my bass is, I really don't think changing the tuner will hurt the value all that much.

6. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    thanks guys.....johnvice....good idea but not for me...we are still in the developmetal stage...so we wing it at practice and its sper of the moment. where do could possibly get a used extender? its quite random to look for i would think :help:

7. I would check ebay. There is a ton of stuff like that coming and going.

8. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    good idea....what would you say to me taking off my g string and putting on 2 e's...and droping one of em....as i play sensless metal and only need 2 strings...e and a... :crying: which is no fun because am a fusion jazz/les claypool style kinda guy...but i wont go into how pissed i am aboput that :mad:

9. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    well, hell...didn't morphine do a 2 string thing??
    :D

10. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I think the misfits bass player (jerry only) used to string his bass with two E and two A strings and tune: E-A-E-A in case he broke a string. If it is mindless metal, you could do the same kind of thing tuning your bass D-A-E-A.

Thinking about all that hassle and the fact you'd need a new nut, just buy a hipshot. Most of them on Ebay are new, with an occasional used one (which may or may not fit your bass/color scheme). I would just bite the bullet. You'll only have to pay it once. I have had the same drop key on my stingray for the past 11 years!!

11. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    i looked at ebay and the only thing that acme up was a fender style for 61 bucks...not the right style and its the same price as brand new. the problem is that im fourteen and i have no income :bawl: i've exausted my parents with the other stuff i got...i.e. 2 basses two amps and accseories so im looking for alteritives....

12. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    what kind of bass do you have?

here's a used one for a jazz/p-bass at $35:

hipshot key

Or here's one that will fit an American Standard P or J bass for $45:

Hipshot 2

13. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    i need one that will fit the style tuner ibanez uses but thanks

if you wouldnt mind can you look for one?

thanks for all this feedback....ive been a member for a while and i dont post much...i just read...so thanks

14. you say you have two basses.. you can keep one in standard tuning and one in drop d. if you need to switch midsong, just keep them both plugged in to, say, an a/b/y box. it takes some practice, but you can do it.

15. why not just droptune all the time and play everything on the bottom string 2 frets higher? or downtune all 4 strings to DGCF and keep your regular intervals. saves lots of hassle with modding, and its free!

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No offense, but what you're asking for is nearly impossible. Hipshots are just about the only manufacturer who provides drop tunable tuners for a reasonable price. They're totally worth the price. Even if you are in the experimental stage, it's worth it IMO to get a Hipshot for your bass. I have one on every bass but my fretless, vintage or not because it is such a useful tool in every style of music. Yes, I even use it playing big band swing. Get out there bro, mow a couple of lawns, then be happy when you have a Hipshot on your bass. You'll be glad you did.

17. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    +1 said it better than I could. Indeed, go mow some lawns, I have a pair of fifth graders in my class that pull down about $40 a weekend mowing together (they consider themselves businessmen). If two 11 year olds can do it, you can too. ;)

18. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    GOOD NEWS!
    I came up with 70 bucks and i am currently bidding on ebay for used hipshots the deal is 2 black gb-7 style hipshots...i am cirrently winning god i hope i win!!!!! :hyper:

thanks to barkatozz, for he came up with this deal on ebay! :D