Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with extension cab/speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vicenzajay, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Hey all,

Need some help as the amplification (and electronics) part of electric bass playing is not my strong suit. I'll start by saying that I'm playing an '87 Fender Power Jazz Special (I bought it new in 1987) through a Peavey 300 combo (now 19 years old - single 15" cone).

So here's the situation - I play for church and for a local cover band...I was interested in switching to a more conventional amp head/cabinet combination, so for the last few weeks, I've been playing through my friends Bag End 4x10 cab. O.K., after several practices, I was pretty happy with the cab sound, but to be sure I switched back to the 300 watt combo and sure enough, everyone (guitarist, bassist, singer) vastly preferred the old Peavey combo...cleaner sound, better versatility, and a signature P-bass tone. It just cuts right through it all with plenty of deep and structured sound; it also responds very well to my effects (the defretted sound I get using the Boss defretter is just amazing).

Now to the question...I would like to know the smartest way to add an extension speaker to the Peavey amp. Obviously it has an "external speaker" jack on the rear of the amp section. I mentioned before that it is a 300-watt amp with a single 15" cone woofer as the speaker. I believe doing this would perhaps add even more versatility (and mass) to the tone/sound achievable with my configuration.

Is it possible for this amp to run an additional 2x10 or something like that as an extension cabinet/speaker? What should I be looking for? Is there something for which I should be careful?

Appreciate all the advice, Jay

2. Check the ohms impedance of the cab you're using now. It's probably either 4 or 8 ohms. Then check the minimum ohm rating on the head. It's probably 4 ohm minimum.
    If your current cabinet is 4 ohms, you'll have a problem if you try to addon another cab, even an 8 ohm cab. This would drop the ohms down below the minimum rating of the head.
    If your current cab is 8 ohms, then you could easily connect another 8 ohm cab to the other amp output jack, giving you 4 ohms. This would run the amp at its optimal ohm load.

You can't really know how another cab will sound with the rig unless you try them both together. One might be more sensitive than the other, or one louder than the other.

Mag...

3. O.K. - thanks magneto. I found a copy of the .pdf manual for the amp - which tells me I need to use a 4 ohm extention speaker cabinet which will give me the full 300 watts at 2 ohms. I'm not an electrician, but I figure I should do as it says.

So...next question - anyone have a suggestion for a good 2x10 or something like it that runs at 4 ohms?

Thanks,
    Jay

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    do you really need it volume wise?
    if ya do, nothing compares to schlepping the thing out to stores and trying a bunch of cabs till you find one that you like. Just dont do that without your bass and your combo. Stick to 4 ohm cabs. those old pv amps will run at 2 ohms all day. We all have our favorites, but that doesnt mean you'll like them. If you put a poll here "bag end 4x10 or peavey 1x15" i doubt you'd have gotten overwhelming support for the pv. just goes to show ya, just cause i like chocolate doesnt mean you will.

5. I was hoping that you especially would help out with my question. Trust me, I liked the Bag End cabinet...nothing against it at all. Yes, I will try out what I can...thanks for that advice. The music stores here, however, offer very little in amplification selection or choice. I'm just hoping for some suggestions. You're absolutely correct to bring up the question about volume...the answer is no for all the church and worship band work. Unfortunately I think it needs just a bit more in the clubs (especially given the guitar's rig)...and I'd like to do that without breaking the bank or completely starting over. What I'd love to try is the Ampeg PB110H - runs at 4 ohms...simple 1x12 plus horn that handles 300 watts. Only 20 pounds, too. Don't think I'll find one to try here, though.

Thanks again,
    Jay

6. 2 ohms? Great! Alot of amps aren't stable into 2 ohms, but it sounds like your Peavey is made for it. Good deal. Honestly, it sounds like you NEED to be running at 2 ohms to give you the optimal wattage from that head.

Have you checked with Avatar cabs to see if one of their 2x10 bass cabs might suit your needs. Owners here at the forum speak highly of them, and they aren't too pricey. You can get one in 4 or 8 ohms too, so that would fit your needs.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Good luck with your setup..

Mag...

7. We think alike - I've been scouring the reviews the past two days straight, and tomorrow I'm going to call Dave and grab the new B210 Neo cab - 44 lbs and the speakers are rated down to around 50 hz (Better by 10 or more hz than the original B210s - good for the B:). I should have it in about a week, so I'll post on how it sounds.

Take care,
    Jay

8. Magneto and IvanMike,

Following all advice, I added an Avatar B210 Neo to the Peavey 300 combo...it arrived today. Works like a champ...amp is running at 300 watts now and the tone is very full (much more of a frequency blend). Nice transition between the combo and cab and lots of headroom - playing the amp at less than 1/3 gain and the bass at the same setting yielded a very nice mix with the band. Ivanmike - you were right about the Peavey's ability to handle 2 ohms...after 3 hours straight it was only warm.

Kudo's to Dave at Avatar - I ordered Tuesday night and received the cab this morning (Friday). The Neo version, btw, is nice and light (44 pound), and the handles are very well designed.

Thanks to all for the advice and help. Rig complete.

Jay