1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with FedEx claims

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SLO Surfer, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Hello fellow TBers!

I’m wondering if anyone here has had to file a claim for damaged items shipped by FedEx. I recently bought a used speaker cab from a private party who paid for FedEx to box and ship the item. On the receipt it shows the seller paid for a “Fragile 22x22x22 box,” but the box that showed up had no sign of the word fragile on it anywhere.

I received a FedEx shipping box that was damaged, big rip through the box on one corner and opposite top corner bent/folded in. My secretary signed for it without inspecting or noting the damaged shipping box. I got home and unpacked it to see the speaker cab was visibly fine externally, but when I plugged it in it did not work. I pulled the back panel and saw the crossover had broken off of the backing plate. It seems obvious that whatever damage happened to the shipping box was enough to break the inside electronics. I took pictures and filed a claim that night. AFA6B756-1CE0-4674-A50F-E515E93AE221.jpeg BE2D69C0-644B-44F0-B438-5CC927C43E8C.jpeg 92606B64-E761-462C-B232-2ED013C5BD8F.jpeg BB287EAD-AD64-4BF7-8D18-95017148CB62.jpeg 1CFB526E-89CC-4F10-AD8C-2613349F717A.jpeg
    The FedEx employee I’ve been in contact with won’t say my claim is denied, but is asking me, “the speaker is visibly fine on the outside, how do you imagine the internal damage occurred?” I answer, “whatever caused the damage to the box clearly damaged the speaker.” He keeps answering me with short one sentence answers trying to put me off, but he won’t say claim is denied. I keep asking him what other proof he needs, but he doesn’t answer.

“You do have Declared Value of $450, so that should we have evidence that the damage was due to mishandling, we would pay up to that. Currently, however, with the photos and evidence that we have, we cannot show our liability.”

I ask, “what more evidence do you need? What are you missing from me?”

His answer, “We will only cover what we can prove we are liable for.”

These communications have gone on for several days where he simply refuses to answer my questions.

Anyone ever experience this? I have his number and want to call to get a clear answer, or a supervisor to explain why he won’t flat out deny the claim or answer my questions.

Any advice or shared experiences welcome. Thanks!

Very frustrating.

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It's terminology. Saying "whatever caused the damage to the box clearly damaged the speaker" won't help. Explain that the crossover board shows damage caused by a sudden drop consistent with the damage to the box.

SLO Surfer likes this.
  3. Thanks for the advice! I sent another email explaining it more clearly with your terminology. Will see what he says. Very frustrating. I don’t want to give up on this extremely clear case of FedEx breaking my cabinet during transit.

4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    It's been dropped hard and there was insufficient shock absorbing padding inside the FedEx box.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Tell him you want to escalate the issue, ask to speak to somebody above them. It might get you to somebody more useful.

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    BTW, I believe FedEx stores are independent franchisees so you may be the unfortunate victim of a pissing contest between FedEx and the store that took your money.

Good luck, it's frustrating dealing with all of the common parcel services.