Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Fender J neck Dead spots

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wild Bill, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Ok so Ive had this MIM Fender Jazz for about 2 1/2 years now and its never had a problem, the tone is great and its a well crafted bass. Although a few weeks ago while practicing with my band I noticed I couldnt go from the 11th fret on the A string to the 18th fret without this weird grinding noise that sounded like my action was too low. So I set the action higher and still nothing. Ive never had this problem with it before. I was wondering if someone had any ideas to fix it. I havent had a tune up in about a year so I dunno if thats it. just please :help: me!
    Thanks
    -Billy

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I have a similar problem with a MIM P-Bass. The A string in particular has issues, and almost no amout of action changes have helped. I finally put 2 shims in the neck, and have finally gotten the A string low enougth to play, and the others are fairly playable. It's not totally fixed my problem, but I'd reccomend a possible shim.

3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Ive been playing bass for 7 years but, whats a "shim"?
    :confused: :D

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I belive its where you elevate the neck slightly by putting paper or something thin in the neck pocket?

5. You can also "shim" the bass by putting something under the string at the saddle, between the string and saddle...

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I used a business card, but that's the idea :)

7. sounds like a high fret around the 17th/18th fret.
    check for a lifting fret.

8. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Thanks for your help. I think Im gonna bring it to my friends house, his dad is a bass player so he might know whats up.