Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Fender neck serial #? (already looked at fender's site)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Hey, on ebay I just picked up a Mexican P bass neck with string tree, tuners, and nut for $125. However, there seems to be something fishy with it. The serial number is MN5128133. This indicates that the neck is from a 1995-96 Mexican, but those Mexican necks are supposed to have MN5 + 5 digits. This neck has 6 digits after the prefix part.

Also, this guy measured the end of the neck to be 2 3/8 inch instead of the standard 2 1/2 inch.

The seller has good feedback but do any of these suspicious facts raise any red flags? Also, if this is a real Fender neck, do you think I got a decent deal?

Thanks a ton for the help, it's much appreciated
    Da LadY

P.S. the bass was advertised as a real Fender bass, so I doubt it'll be too hard getting my money back if it's fake.

2. I did some looking around on ebay at it appears that other Mexicans have 6 digits after the prefix. Did Fender make a mistake on their site or something?

Sorry to be asking stupid questions.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    No question is stupid. I own a 92 Fender MIM jazz and it also has 6 digits after the prefix. I suspect the site might be referring to electric guitars and not basses. Re. the nut size I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe it's down to quality control. So long as the neck is straight and the truss rod works....what the heck :)