1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with Fender neck serial #? (already looked at fender's site)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Hey, on ebay I just picked up a Mexican P bass neck with string tree, tuners, and nut for $125. However, there seems to be something fishy with it. The serial number is MN5128133. This indicates that the neck is from a 1995-96 Mexican, but those Mexican necks are supposed to have MN5 + 5 digits. This neck has 6 digits after the prefix part.

Also, this guy measured the end of the neck to be 2 3/8 inch instead of the standard 2 1/2 inch.

The seller has good feedback but do any of these suspicious facts raise any red flags? Also, if this is a real Fender neck, do you think I got a decent deal?

Thanks a ton for the help, it's much appreciated
    Da LadY

P.S. the bass was advertised as a real Fender bass, so I doubt it'll be too hard getting my money back if it's fake.

2. I did some looking around on ebay at it appears that other Mexicans have 6 digits after the prefix. Did Fender make a mistake on their site or something?

Sorry to be asking stupid questions.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    No question is stupid. I own a 92 Fender MIM jazz and it also has 6 digits after the prefix. I suspect the site might be referring to electric guitars and not basses. Re. the nut size I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe it's down to quality control. So long as the neck is straight and the truss rod works....what the heck :)