1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with fender serial number

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ral89, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Ral89

Ral89

Sep 12, 2018
    Hi, there, Im from Brazil, looking to buy a precision Bass, and I came across with this p Bass. It has the serial V032691 on the front of headstock, as well as "Made in Usa".
    According to the owner, its a 96 Bass. In my research, serials starting with a V from that year should be japanese.
    Anyone with some guidance? Really appreciate, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. It's a fake.

3. Ral89

Ral89

Sep 12, 2018
    Thanks, bro

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The Fender Custom Shop decal on the back of the head stock is amusing. Perhaps it's a bit of whimsy on the part of the seller?

If the person selling is asking $250 US or less for it, it sounds good, and the neck is in good shape, then it might be reasonable.
    It is not made in the USA and not a Custom Shop bass. I think it might be a late 90's MIJ or possibly MIM instrument.

The parts may not all be from the same original instrument, as they are very interchangeable, thus it could be an amalgam of MIM, MIJ, etc.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Ace Of Bass and jwoiton like this.
  5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Those are the same tuners on my Made in Indonesia Squier.

Ace Of Bass, westrock and Jim Carr like this.
  6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    No fair! Tell us why it's a fake.
    I still appreciate getting the knowledge to spot fakes on my own.

7. Headstock truss adjust with no sleeve, wrong tuners, wrong bridge, custom shop logo, the logo on the front is wrong etc etc

8. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Not a Fender of any year. Sorry...

Ace Of Bass and adams83 like this.
  9. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Run Forest Run!!!

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  10. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Not even a particularly good fake.

adams83 likes this.
  11. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    I don’t even think it’s as close to a Fender as a Squier.
    It is not a Fender made in any country.

Rabidhamster and adams83 like this.
  12. brushfirewolf

brushfirewolf

Nov 12, 2016
    Maryland
    You can blatantly see the lines where the Fender logo was cut and pasted on. Looks like the “precision bass” part of the headstock logo may be legit, leading one to assume it’s just a squier.

my made in China squier p bass from 96 has a very similar truss rod notch and tuners. Also around this time the Squier serial numbers along with “made in China” were stamped on the neck plate, not the headstock, so that would explain the back of the headstock being blank for them to slap that ridiculous custom shop logo on.

13. Those tuners don’t look like any tuners I have ever seen on any Fender or Squier from any country. The headstock shape seems to be inspired by Fender, but not very much.

14. Isaac J

Isaac J

Dec 26, 2016
    UK
    Yeah, looks fake to me too I'm afraid.
    Headstock shape, no truss plug / sleeve, wrong tuners, dome-top rather than flat-top controls... etc.

15. Greg East Yorks

Greg East Yorks

Jan 1, 2020
    Looks like a Legend Bass, not a bad player but only cost £100 (UK) or so new so, if it is, it sounds really expensive. There are loads of near copies though so could be anything really.[​IMG]

16. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    The V at the beginning of the serial number indicates an American Vintage Series, which this bass in definitely not.
    In fact it is not a Fender at all.

17. hypnoroll

hypnoroll

Oct 3, 2020
    Hi everyone this is my first post here, I found a 1978 precision that I like but I have some doubt about the serial number because the numbers are not perfectly aligned. Does it look legit to you? Thanks for the help
    serial.jpg

18. hypnoroll

hypnoroll

Oct 3, 2020
    seriale.jpg

19. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Best to post in your own thread instead but looks fine

hypnoroll likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021