1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with Fender Serial Number

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markdavid, Apr 19, 2009.

1. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Hi all ,

I have a CIJ Fender Jazz bass I need to find out a bit more info about ,was hoping someone out there may be able to help, the person I bought it from tells me it is a 98 Jazz bass , however doing a search seems to suggest that the bass may be dated earlier than this (around 85-86 , if anybody can confirm this please) . The serial number is A035243 , I was hoping somebody may be able to tell me a bit more about the date of this bass and the type of Jazz bass (initially i thought it may be a 62 reissue due to the bridge cover, and due to the truss rod cover being at the end of the neck rather than at the headstock end).
    Any help appreciated

Attached Files:

2. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    I believe 62 reissues have stocked pots - the reflections in the picture make it a little hard to tell for me. Serial would seem to indicate Japanese from 85/86.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    According to this web site....
    http://www.guitarsjapan.com/fenderchart.html

A+6 digits could be either. If it's MIJ then you are right, it's mid 80's. If it's CIJ then the seller was right. It's a 98-99. Go all the way to the bottom of the chart for CIJ numbers. As for the difference (CIJ vs. MIJ), THAT is the most debated topic in the Fender universe. Do a thread search and you should come up with a dozen or so just on this forum.

All that being said, I have a 93-94 MIJ Jazz and I LOVE it. It is quickly turning into a main player for me. ENJOY! Nice bass you got there!

4. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Sorry , I get confused with MIJ , CIJ sometimes , its a CIJ jazz , will edit other posts , thanks for the help guys

5. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks, pots are not stacked , just standard v/v/t , it was the truss rod at the end of the neck like on the vintage fenders that made me think it may be a 62 reissue , slightly better picture attached

Attached Files:

6. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks for the link , was very helpful, bass plays ok but is in need of a setup as the action is kinda high , im planning to get it setup end of this month