Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Fender Urge I

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Mar 12, 2006.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

A friend bought a Fender Urge I and he wants to know what do the knobs and toggle do. I could give him an idea since the tonal differences are very clear, but he wants exact information about it. Any input on this is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Try the fender homepage.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Already did, but couldn't find it in the archives.

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0191500886

This is for the urge 2, and I don't have a clue if the electronics have been changed or not. Simply comparing the picture of the 2 to the 1 should give you an idea.

Click on specifications on the lower right. In the description, it tells you what the switches do in different positions.

5. Hi-
    I have one -if you do a search for Stu amm basses you'll see other posts describing this

knob closest to neck- center=volume, outer-balance for j p'ups
    middle knob center=treble, outer =bass
    toggle switch top=P onlyy, middle detent= all p'ups, down=J p'ups only
    Knob closest bridge: 4 way (bottom to top) bottom= standby (off), passive mode, mid boost, active

a few things about these basses, they are amazing players basses, superfast neck, tiny body, however this adds up to a lightweigh tiny bass and IMO I find they are lacking in the low end. Its doesn't get super beefy or fat. You really hear electronics, little woodiness (or depth) so the active preamp makes up for any complexity by being voiced specially like a kubicki. My Stu hamm has an internal trimpot which allows you to change the mid frequencies for more/less boost, I've heard some have them, some don't. Lastly, the P bass p'up sounds decent solo'd, but all 3 p'ups on sounds fullest. I hope he likes the bass
    frank

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Thank you! Looking at the specs, I think the Urge II is different since the Urge I has a 4-position (I think) knob that seems to be an active/passive selector and even turns the sound off.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

So I was on the right path. Thank you!

I share your thoughts on this bass. I played it and I liked its versatility, but the tones I could get weren't totally pleasant to me (specially the slap tone).