Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with FenderBassMan 200-sound then no sound.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CamMcIntyre, Apr 28, 2003.

1. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok-i tried to use a descriptive title. My amp has been doing this for awhile but today it was really bad. I'll be playing and it will be running fine & then the output disappears. The preamp signal light still lights up so i'm thinking the problem is after that stage. I know this probably isn't the best thing for it but i've just hit it or shook it till it works again and that helps for a while, but today it went out what seemed like every 10mins. Could it just be a wire that has come undone or do you guys think it's a major problem? I'd like to get it fixed but since money isn't unlimited if it's something that i can do that'd be great. I am more than willing to provide any information. I tend to run the amp @ 1/2 volume and then EQ it to suit the bass [bass guitar or upright]. I run it with the horn level off. Thats all Thanks for the Help.

2. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    ..........God placed repair people on the planet. She did this in order to fix Bassman 200's which should still be covered under a 5 year warranty.

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Thanks for the advice. Would a Fender dealer who sells the amps yet doesn't service them be able to do this? [i'm assuming you're the same guy that posted all of that fender stuff & for sale and for all practical reason fender knowledge god]. Thanks for the reminder of the 5 year warranty, now i've got an idea about my amp. Thank you so much.

4. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    The best thing that you (or anyone else with repair problems) can do is to find a reliable AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTER for the stuff that you own. If you purchased a Fender amp from an AUTHORIZED Fender dealer, that's where I'd take it. If you purchased it "somewhere else", I'd get in touch with Fender and find out who your nearest service center is. It works the same way with any brand. :^>)

In my own case, I personally know the best service guy around. I take my stuff to him as he "knows his stuff"......AND, he knows all of my gear. He knows how I like my basses set up. He knows the nuances of EVERY tube on the planet, he's a world class luthier, etc.

Developing a good relationship with a service guy is just as important as developing one with a dealer. Good Luck with your amp. :^>)

BTW.........how do you like your Music Man Ray5 in cherry sunburst? I'm thinking about trading my Roscoe Beck for one.

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB
    www.richbriere.com

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Rich-i got it at Mars as a christmas present from my dad. I went to the Fender website & found out that the dealer that sold my dad my first bass [fender jazz] also is a SERVICE CENTER-i've learned the difference between a dealer & a service center now, btw. Tomorrow i will be making a trip to Indy to hopefully get it fixed. Thank you very much for telling me what should have been the obvious. :D
    As for the Ray5, i love it. It's my first MIA Bass. The string spacing felt really tight at first & still is a bit tight for me when popping the inner strings, but i am more than willing to redo my technique to get the sound. I know i'm only 16 but i play for 5+ different school/garage bands. The maple board sounded more like what i have in my head than the rosewood did. As for trading the roscoe beck for one-that's your call. I've never played an RB-wanted too but haven't. If you like the feel/sound of the Ray5 better go for it. I'm sure you've heard about how the Ray5 is a one trick pony then no it's not. I'm a member of the it's all in what YOU pull out of it. :D I get to do a project now so i'll post the results of tomorrow when i get home. Thanks for the info.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok-i got it back yesterday. It was just a bad solder connection and a new jack. Thats all

7. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    And as the sun sets in the west, the world is calm, the player is happy........ and the amplifier is performing as it should. Life...a GOOD thing! :D

RB