1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help With First Bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dum-Dum-Dum, May 6, 2006.

1. Dum-Dum-Dum

Dum-Dum-Dum

May 6, 2006
    12th Fret
    Heyo, I've decided to take up Bass. And after much consideration I have decided to go with either an ESP LTD B50 or a BC Rich Warlock Bronce Bass... I'd love the ESP, but I can't find it anywhere, I live in Ireland. I can't find it available online or locally, so I was wondering if somebody could tell me if its possible to get my hands on one or should I give up hope?

About the BC Rich, I am a big Metal fan, but I plan to be playing more varied stuff. From Pantera, Megadeth etc to Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chilli Peppers... For some reason, the Warlock strikes as being a real Metal dedicated bass :meh: Would I be able to use it to play lots of different genres of music?

Any help will be appreciated

2. Dum-Dum-Dum

Dum-Dum-Dum

May 6, 2006
    12th Fret
    Oh, and I realise I COULD use the Warlock for anything, but would it sound right? Or is there much difference?

3. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    The trick with a bass is not to buy it on looks and especially not in this case. What you need to do is get to a music store with a decent selection and try out a variety of basses through a decent amp. That way you have a benchmark with which to compare them too.

You then need to decide which bass seems the best fit for you based on the following:

- Tone
    - Feel
    - Playability
    - Budget
    - Asthetics

My feeling is that I would play a piece of drift wood if the tone was what I wanted.

4. Dum-Dum-Dum

Dum-Dum-Dum

May 6, 2006
    12th Fret
    I have done, I have been in loads of shops and played around with alot of basses. I have found BC Rich basses and ESP are both very cool, and I really like both of them. Can anyone tell me about the ESP LTD B50?

5. Dum-Dum-Dum

Dum-Dum-Dum

May 6, 2006
    12th Fret
    Wrong bass Spudmaster, thats the B500, I'm looking for the B50, and I need to buy it in Europe. Thanks though :)

6. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    how do you know you like the B50 if you haven't played it? don't ever buy a bass on looks alone.

7. Dum-Dum-Dum

Dum-Dum-Dum

May 6, 2006
    12th Fret
    I liked the ESP I played, but it was to expensive. The B50 is affordable and I've been told its high quality too.

8. I'd go with a SX Scorpion bass. If they don't ship to Europe, you can probably find another online store that is located there or atleast ships there.

http://www.rondomusic.net/pjbsc.html

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i don't think you can expect quite the same thing from whatever ESP you played and the B50. there must be a reason for a price difference that is large enough for you to have to pick a B50 instead of the actual one you played.

and i personally think any SX would be the best pick between the 3 (Warlock, ESP, SX).

10. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    I recomend renting a nice cheaper bass to start off with. For two reasons: you don't have to worry about damaging it too much while learning all of the basic fingerings, positions, etc. And you might end up not liking bassing/the intrument at all. (Which will never happen of coarse :p )

11. Dum-Dum-Dum

Dum-Dum-Dum

May 6, 2006
    12th Fret
    Are SX any good? I was put off by the starter packs and their relative cheapness... Same with Tanglewood

12. sorry 'bout the wrong bass thing. lots of people love their sx's theres even a MEGATHREAD over in the basses forum. they seem to say that they are decent stock and verry easy to upgrade, (new hardware, pickups, electronics) if you do end up liking bass. as you should of course.