Help with first rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Droog, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Hey all. I have started playing bass recently this year and thank god. Been plucking a Gee-tar for several years and just could never click with it, a good friend of mine told me I should play bass for him and after a few practices I was hooked. I bought myself a nice P-bass (87 reissue of a 62) and I love it. Now I need to start thinking about a rig. Gonna be almost strickly playing hard rock. Looking for suggestions from you experianced guys. Is a single 410 enough, do i need a 15 what about dual 12's these are the type of things I really have no knowledge about.

Right now I a have in my head that a Bag End 410 and an SVT head would be cool, but having never heard either..... Also those Bag Ends are like 800 watts @8 ohms, what amp can do that justice. Once again thank you all for any input you can share, and yes I did use the search feature it just was not cutting it.
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Ampeg and Bag End are very good for rock. There's a buyer's guide at the top of the amp forum for you to check out other options.

We'd need more info to help any more, like what's your budget and what bassists have tone that you admire.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It looks like you are going after some nice gear. I would suggest you invest money into a good head.

It may be a good idea for you to get a good power amp, and a nice pre-amp.

4. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    You know I'm not really sure what my budget is I am not in a huge hurry and I tend to come up with what I need to get what I want. I'm thinking if I can keep the Head less than a grand that would be nice, same goes for the cab.

As fas a tone goes, lately I have really been digging Josh Freese's sound on A Perfect Circle's first album. The bass off of NIN live album is great. Chi Cheng from Deftones. Jeff Dimpsey from HUM had a great tone. I'm thinking Tube is the way to go however if a Solid State sounds great fine with me.

Hope this helps, once again thanks much.
  5. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    When you say
    Are you talking about like a PA amp? I guess I am not overly familiar with Bass power amps as apposed to a head.
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Power amps are power amps.

With that budget, you can get some really nice stuff. Go to a big store and take your time trying out all of the gear. You'll know it when you hear/feel it. Sorry but I don't know what gear those artists use. Maybe ask in the bassists forum?
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    410 should be good for starters. if your not volume crazy 2 112's might be good. some would even say 2 410's especially for extra volume.

Its refreshing not to have another new person say "I wanna really loud rig to play in the bars and I can only spend $400 for the whole thing!" :rolleyes:
  8. Chi Cheng uses Ampeg SVT-2 heads and a SansAmp PSA-1 for his tones. Sounds like you're going after kind of an Ampeg type sound. Might wanna check their gear out.

Good Luck!
  9. Josh Freese plays drums, not bass, for APC. However, he did play bass (as well as guitar, drums, and just about everything else) on his solo album "The Notorious One Man Orgy." He is also the drummer for the Vandals.

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ampeg SVT-3pro===> a 4x10 and 1x15 of your choice, 8 ohms each.

that should be a good rig.
  11. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    The rig you describe sounds great. I am a big fan of 212s, but I also have a 410 I love, and a Bag End should be great (no experience with them).

I would strongly recommend trying different rigs out. I have gotten very excited about certain rigs only to be very dissapointed when I tried them out. Try everything you can get your hands on and go listen to bands and evaluate their bass rigs.