1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help with fixing holes in wall......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, May 4, 2004.

  1. Bad Brains

    Bad Brains Banned

    Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well our lease here is almost up come next week, and 4 college kids in apartment with cheap walls = a few holes. Anyone have any good ideas on how to cover these up pretty good so the landlord won't notice. I have a feeling if she notices them then we won't get our 300$ deposits back...despite the fact that it probably cost under 100$ to fix them properly.

    So far with one of the holes, that is probably a little bigger then my fist (no i did not punch the hole), i jammed up real tight with spackle, waited for it to dry and sanded it down a little untill it was flush with the wall. I'm going to take a sample of the paint and get it matched and paint over it. This should work, i did this last year in my other apartment.

    The other hole might be more of a problem because it is prettly big and deep. This happened when we were setting up a bed, and one of the posts was dropped and went right into the wall.

    My plan for this is i'm going to shove a bunch of newspaper in there, or possible go to a art store and get some clay and jam up the hole, then throw a bunch of spackle over that and did what i did with the other hole. This is just an idea, any of you have any suggestions?
  2. Adam Barkley

    Adam Barkley Mayday!

    Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Don't jury rig the large hole.

    Take a razor knife (the walls are drywall, correct) and cut a square area around the hole. Replace with appropriate-sized piece of drywall. If the hole is too big, the entire sheet might need to be replaced. Spackle the edges to make it seemless, sand and paint. Presto, new wall.

    Hope that helps, somebody correct me if I explained it wrong
  3. By-Tor


    Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    If it's a good sized hole, you can get a piece of thin board like plywould or some thin slats.
    make them a few inches longer than the hole. Position the plywood or slats inside the hole so that you can put a screw thru the wall a few inches above and below the hole into the wood. This provides a backing for a pice of drywall. Cut the drywall to match the hole secure the drywall with few screws into the wood and spackle.
  4. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that's not too bad. I am a maintenance guy, so I usually cut a good square hole with a razor knife. Then I'll basically tie some slats behind the hole, leaving a lip in the hole. Then I'll cut a matching patch, and tie it down to the slats with drywall screws. Then I'll fill the cracks and countersink holes with onetime spackle. but the newspaper idea works OK. Even better is to use that expanding foam stuff. It sticks to everything, so be careful. When it dries, just cut it back below flush a bit, and fill it with onetime spackle
  5. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I was writing that at the same time, I guess, by-tor... Great minds think alike!
  6. Benbass


    Jan 28, 2002
    Either of the 2 above suggestions will work. Though I do think IMHO that drywall mud or joint compound is much easier to work with than spackle for large holes. Also any hardware store will sell small metal plates with adhesive on the back and mesh drywall tape on them made specifically for covering holes of this type. You just stick teh plate to the wall and put a layer of mud over the top. Wait for it to dry, sand and paint. Hope that helps.
  7. Bad Brains

    Bad Brains Banned

    Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    perhaps i should just leave it, how much would i expect to pay out of my deposit for the hole?? Surley can't cost over 100$?
  8. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    They'll charge you for labor, too, I am sure. It's up to you.
  9. MJ5150

    MJ5150 Terrific Twister

    Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    As a former drywall taper for 15+ years, I feel obliged to respond.

    First off, I have never worked near you. However, I can tell you that the going rate to fix the two holes you mentioned would be $75-100 around here. That's about $20 worth of material, and the rest labor.

    I have done the newspaper option myself in the past. It works for small holes, but it will eventually "fail". Your best option is the patches mentioned by Benbass. When I was in a situation where I had to do a good job, that is what I would use. I can send you a couple of mine that I no longer need if you want them.

    It will take more than one coat of mud to do it right. After you coat it a couple times, lightly sand it. Grab a can of spray texture and spray it. If available in your area, SprayTex is best. The Homax stuff is garbage. Make sure the can of spray texture is room temp before you use it. Don't just spray the mud either, work out around the patch. That will help it "blend" better. Lightly sand the outer edges of your spray when you are done. Add some paint, and she'll never know.