1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with Focusrite Scarlett Solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rami401, Mar 3, 2016.

1. rami401

rami401

Apr 24, 2014
    Texas
    Hello All, I bought a Focusrite Scarlett Solo as my 1st interface. I am running windows 10, I downloaded all software, my main objective is to play bass with mp3's for better hearing as opposed to PC speakers, for learning songs. the only program I know how to use to do this is Audacity. Can anybody kindly recommend a better way to do this? Newbie to DAW. Thanks

2. azmati

azmati

Nov 20, 2006
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Do you mean: to play bass with headphones? You really don't need a DAW for that, per se.

If you bought the Scarlett Solo new, it may have come bundled with Ableton Live Lite 9, which is also a DAW. By my estimation a great DAW.

rami401 likes this.
  3. rami401

rami401

Apr 24, 2014
    Texas
    Yes, to play with headphones while hearing the mp3 and myself simultaneously, and tweaking sound for clarity. Thanks for reply.

azmati likes this.
  4. Go Sugaya

Go Sugaya

Jan 28, 2016
    DAW's are used mainly for recording and creating music.
    If you are simply playing along with an exacting MP3 song from your computer or iPod you can use a practice bass amp with an aux input or a mixer.
    If you don't have any of these items and you want to use your scarlet interface you can simply plug in your bass directly to it and play the MP3 music using scarlet as the audio device for your computer. Then you can hear both the music and your bass through scarlet headphone out. You don't need to use any daw application for the above method.

rami401 likes this.
  5. rami401

rami401

Apr 24, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks for input, is it possible to use Scarlett as bass input and play say WMP and it will work? Or do I need some other windows software program?

6. Go Sugaya

Go Sugaya

Jan 28, 2016
    You don't need any softwares for that just play back the music via wmp and play your bass thru scarlet. Then monitor it thru headphone. Music volume can be adjusted on your windows and your bass input volume can be adjusted on scarlet.
    If your bass is active it might sound better with some Active Eq adjustments.

rami401 likes this.
  7. rami401

rami401

Apr 24, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you.

8. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Id strongly suggest using a free or cheap daw. Its super easy and lets you do a lot more. You can eq the bass out of mp3s, eq and compress your own bass..experiment with tones, record your playing..etc.

You would simply start a new blank session in any daw and make one stereo track and drag your mp3 into that. Then make one mono and use that for your bass. A real basic daw is something every musician should own.

rami401 likes this.
  9. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn

Dec 20, 2014
    Hungary
    I didn't want to start a new thread and the question fits here :)

So i would like to record my bass. I have a VT Bass DI box which has an XLR out an 1/4 jack out and a parallel 1/4 jack output, which is unaffected by the pedal.

The problem is, the scarlett solo has a 1/4 jack instrument/line input, and a mic XLR input. If i put the effected pedal out 1/4 jack to the amp, i have only the XLR as an effected output. The scarlett solo's XLR input is for the cab mic, so i'm unable to plug the VT's XLR there.

Can i somehow convert the XLR output to an instrument level input? A saw some XLR-to-1/4jack converters, but i'm not sure about the signal levels. Could it work?

10. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    VT 1/4" output unaffected ---> line/inst input of the Scarlett, switch input to Inst in the app, use an amp modelling plugin.

VT 1/4" output effected ---> Amp

Cab mic ---> XLR input of the Scarlett.

SleepyJohn likes this.
  11. SleepyJohn

SleepyJohn

Dec 20, 2014
    Hungary
    Thanks!

I have thought about this, but in this case the sound character wouldn't be too different of the two signals? Or i have to play with the amp modelling plugin to match with the character of the mic?

12. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    From my understanding, the VT pedal is an emulation of an Ampeg SVT amp, and a DAW like Logic Pro has a SVT amp modelling plugin. So I think matching the two sounds will be ok. I think the beauty of a setup like this, is having a super clean and fat bass tone with the amp modelling channel, and perhaps a dirty midrange punchy mic'd channel. But the possibilities are vast. You could use stereo imaging on the two channels. Apply more effects to the mic'd channel. An octave effect on the clean channel. Split the mic'd channel into two, have one dirty, and the other dirty with a chorus effect. EQ out the bottom end of the mic'd channel. Or a clean compressed sound for the mic'd channel, and a uncompressed sound for amp modelling channel.

SleepyJohn likes this.