Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! with G&L L-1505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andruca, Jun 11, 2004.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I have an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 5 and I recently bought a G&L L-1505. I had a nice offer on it and after reading lots of reviews that named it the "logical upgrade" to the Stingray 5 I decided to buy it, although I knew of the "not so active preamp" trick in this bass. The preamp is the lesser problem. It is absolutely noisy and feels like a Fender (wich I hate). It can be stringed through the body, but then again it is unplayable (it's already unplayable stringed through the bridge alone, so just figure it out...). The sound isn't comparable to my MM at all as I cannot take out the auful midrange it produces (because of the lack of a mid cut knob -just treble and bass-). The "active features" are totally useless (this bass doesn't need active treble boost -the only active control it has-, but needs some bass boost and the mentioned mid cut). I shielded both cavities myself and reduced the noise significantly. But in the end, the bass sucks big time both in sound and in playability (the neck is so thick it can only be compared to that of a Warwick). So, my question is, WHERE THE HELL ARE THE "LOGICAL MM UPGRADE" FEATURES??? Maybe there's something I'm missing about this bass. Maybe there's something really amazing that's hidden within this brute diamond. I can't find the "INCREDIBLE FEATURES" of this bass compared to my Stingray 5. AM I MISSING SOMETHING? IS THERE SOMETHING I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THIS BASS??? I CERTAINLY CAN'T FIND IT. PLEASE, I NEED TO KNOW THE ADVANTAGES BEFORE I SELL IT!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    There's only one thing you can do.

SEND IT TO ME!

I'll even pay for shipping. :hyper:

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A 1505 doesn't have a treble booster, only the 2500 and 2000 four string do. The only active feature is turning the preamp on.

Sorry you didn't like it.

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm afraid not...I too fell victim of the G&L L1505. Mine too was the noisiest bass I ever owned. I shielded all cavities and it helped some but the switches and controls were still somewhat microphonic. I called G&L and their response was "It's not sheilded? Mhmmm....? Oh that's right! We sheild the L-2500 and a few other models but not the L-1505." As for the microphonic issue, G&L responded as follows: "Oh yeah, that's normal".

The one advantage in the L-1505 is that it cuts through any mix. That's the only advantage that I know of. Good luck selling it! I added a neck P/U and converted mine into a L-2500 and it helped smooth the extreme midrange sound but the sound was still heavily midrange influenced. I installed an Aguilar OP3 pre and it quieted down the noise some but the MFD G&L P/U's were still just too hot. I replaced the G&L MFD P/U's with Bart soap bars and it helped a little more but IMO the position of the bridge P/U (in the so-called sweet spot) just injects a huge midrange boost on the tone. To make a long story short, I took the Aguilar pre and Barts out, rewired it like the L-2500 and counted my losses. A fellow TB'er got a great deal on a L-1500/2500 ($600; I had $1200 in the bass after adding the neck P/U and my labor was free!). Learn from my mistakes...you will not change the over all sound of that bass! :crying:

5. Czar

Czar

May 6, 2003
    New Jersey
    My L1500 was the same way...I went back to Stingrays

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    OK! So I guess I'm not the only one that is disapointed with this bass' performance. I'm surprised and at a certain point disoriented because I wrote some reviews (i.e. Harmony-Central) and some people came back to me like "What's wrong with you? I don't use MM anymore. I only use G&L and it's the best!!!" and I was affraid I wasn't able to find the "wonderful hidden possibilities" of this bass. I'm selling it. The bad thing is that here in Madrid (Spain) not everybody knows the G&L brand (and I'm selling it for U$900 which I think is a good price for an unused G&L bass). It will take some time to have it sold but there's no way I'm keeping this hand and ear breaker.

Thans so much everybody...

ANDRÉS