Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with Geddy Lee Jazz bass pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mindflow, Oct 31, 2004.

1. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Id like to get rid of the white guard thats stock on there and put ona tortoise shell or a black one. a standard jazz pickguard will not fit. i need an 11 hole one. does anyone know if a 62 reissue guard would fit or know where to get a guard that would? anyone had success with this? thanks for the help.

by the way, i LOVE this bass, highly recommended for the money

2. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    A standard USA Jazz pickguard should, shouldn't it? The pickup hole is the right size (Geddy size is the same as the USA size), and you don't HAVE to use the 11th hole like the original Geddy pickguard.

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Get a standard replacement pickguard and drill the extra hole. Or don't drill the extra hole, and don't use a screw in the middle. That's what I have done. It is virtually impossible to find a perfect fit, so you have to make it fit a little.

4. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    beat me to it :D

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
  6. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Thanks FireAarro for that link, very helpful. thanks to everyone else to. that link opened up my options they have a lot of cool colrs on there, now im debating on what to go with .

7. mindflow

mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    also, i had a standard guard from my other bass, which was MIM but the replacement guard im pretty sure would have fit MIA but that didnt fit right near the volume knobs and the holes didnt line up. it was a fender brand guard too. did you drill new holes for yours?

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    THEY DON'T HAVE COWPRINT! That makes me sad. If they did, I'd have a new 'guard by now. Jeannie Pickguards or something has cowprint, but no Geddy Lee specific template.

EDIT: On another note, Jeannie Pickguards say "Tracing sent to insure pickup hole and screw hole patterns no extra charge"

9. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I got mine on:

www.terrapinguitars.com

good quality good price. I got a black pearloid.
    Looks awesome now.

Hope this helped...

PS. Great bass, right?

10. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    +1

I got mine from them for my Geddy. Fits like a glove and all screw holes line up perfectly. They have the pattern on file, so no tracing and mailing is necessary.

[​IMG]

11. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    AAARRRGGGHHH Mickey ! Beautifull !

I've ordered the same for my GL 5 months ago and i'm still waiting. :bawl:
    Putain 5 months, i hope it's the good one.

I put a j retro on my GL. Great bass for slap.

12. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    5 MONTHS? Wow. Why the wait?

13. lo lio

lo lio

Apr 10, 2003
    FRANCE 78930
    Because i live in france and if you want this pickguard you've got to get it from the USA. And the seller wait to have a lot of things to order to pass it to earn more money.
    So five months.
    And it's very expensive.

14. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Hmm, and I thought the 4 weeks it took mine was bad. Well good luck on the wait and trust me, it'll be worth it when you get it!

15. Man, I love that!! Very cool!! What EXACTLY is that - black pearl?

Also, it looks like you have the coated black strings which look very sharp - what are they and how do you like them?

Finally, what's up with those knobs?

16. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Thanks for the compliments! The p/g is a 4-ply abalone shell guard---it's material #112 here.

Those are DR Black Beauties. For me, they're a perfect compromise, cause I love new nickel strings but my sweaty hands kill them after 3 or 4 four-hour shows. I also love broken in SS strings, but hate the clank when they're new and they tear up my fingers pretty good. To my ears, they sonically fit right between. Not too bright, not too dull, yet quite growly...and they stay that way for a good amount of time. I'm able to get 10-12 shows out of them without losing their bite. I'm on my second set now and am not looking back. I've found my string. Plus they look cool as heck on the Geddy.

Your standard knurled P bass type knobs, except with a domed abalone top. I got them from StewMac. They compliment the pickguard nicely. At the same time I also did the series mod with a push/pull pot in the neck volume position. Needless to say, I'm done modding this bass. She'll be with me 'til the day I die.

EDIT: found a closeup of the knobs (don't mind the reflection of a tree on the control plate)
    [​IMG]

17. Awesome!!! Thanks Mikey!!!
    I'm going to order that pickguard - very classy!!! I've been wanting to try the Black Beauties. Mine is currently strung with Lowriders and I'm a big DR fan anyway. Those knobs are a definite upgrade, never liked the plastic knobs anyway - might check yours out.
    Now here is the bizarre part...I just bought my second GL on Monday from DavidMWilson of TB - he modded his GL with Sadowsky humcancelling pups and with Hipshot tuners - if I like the sound and the neck is as sweet (and straight!) as mine is then I'll sell mine and put the new guard on that bass. The only other mod I might do would be to add a Hipshot D-tuner for the times I don't want to pick up a fiver...Just snagged a Roscoe LG-3005 and BOTH it and the GL are due to arrive on Friday - it's Christmas in November for me!!! :hyper:

18. mikeyvr6

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    Wow, I think Xmas in November is an understatement! One bit of info on the knobs I failed to mention---they are too small to fit on the stock pot shafts. I had to swap in different pots in order to get them to fit. Unfortunately they were not a "plug-n-play" upgrade.

Anyways, I'm glad I could help you out with the info and good luck on your new ones coming in this week. Cool to see others in love with their Geddys as much as i am. :)

One more pic to show off some of the different colors of the guard:
    [​IMG]

19. Mikey - thanks for another pick - that is THE sweetest GL I have ever seen, bar none! I hope you don't mind me copping your style but your taste here is perfect! I may just get standard chrome knobs and go with that for the sake of simplicity...

Btw, I have two vintage non-original ('57 and '59) p basses and neither one of them can hold a candle from a playability aspect to the GL....my favorite Fender! :bassist:

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I just ordered a birdseye maple patterned one for mine. I'll post pix when it comes in.