Help with getting my kid started on bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by billengelman, Aug 16, 2004.

1. My 9 year old son has played piano for about a year and is interested is playing bass also. He has a short scale, violin bass that fits him pretty well and a comfortable practice spot. His sister (12) plays drums and his best buddy has started guitar lessons. I have played bass for a few years, but have not had lessons, so I'm not sure how to get him started. We want to keep his piano lessons going, while slipping in a bass lesson (with me as instructor), once a week or so. Is this a realistic idea? Any suggestions on a lesson plan? Practice time?
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Are you qualified to give him lessons without showing him maybe the wrong technique etc.? Just wondering, maybe you want to go the professional route. If he is taking piano teach him the notes on the bass and have him play his piano lessons on bass too. Piano is thoery at it's best, if he learns the same lessons in both instruments then that's killing two birds with one stone. That way he will learn the fretboard and since he is taking piano and learning to sight read then he can play easily.
  3. Good points. Bass lessons would be nice for technique, but maybe you should keep him going on piano and have him play piano songs on bass. Have him play both and eventually if he is serious about bass lessons he could switch to those. Although piano would be extremely beneficial for his theory learning.
  4. I'd go with both. The piano lessons would be great for his theory and alot of it will transfer over to bass if he gets serious about it.

The great thing is he has a few people to jam with.

I wouldnt see a problem with you teaching him, but if your quite concerned take him to 1-3 lessons to start with and go from there.

Ain't papa proud?! :D
  5. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Definetly keep piano... One, because if he gets really good, people would LOVE to jam with him, two, theory of course. I would go the professional route even if you did 2 lessons a month with an professional, then two with you.
  6. Be sure to mention to his piano teacher that he is taking an interest in bass. I know when I took dreaded piano lessons at age 12 my teacher played the bass chords while I played melody, if he's doing the same, maybe they could switch places?

I still remember to this day, when I was playing the melody.."What's she doin down there...that sounds cool" :D
  7. Thanks for the input. Pro bass lessons are not going to work, but just getting him started on playing the bass line from his piano music sounds like a great idea.