Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with GnR paradise city

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Jiro, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I think just feels way too akward for me...but this is how i hear the main riff of the GnR song Paradise City

and it's bps=104... I just can't do it up to speed i get really sloppy and if i can't get this the band sounds like ****!

Gb|-----------------------------
    Db|-----------------------------
    Ab|---------------------------1-
    Eb|--3--1-2-3--1-2-3-1-3-1-3---

Gb|-------------------------------
    Db|-------------------------------
    Ab|--------------------------3--1-
    Eb|--3--1-2-3--1-2-3-1-3-1-------

Should i just go over and over this or is there a better way to do this without?! If i can't get it good at this 104 speed what are some good exercises to get me going good on this riff... Thanks alot. Peace.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well, son... if you can't pull of PC at 104... i recommend... a different song.

that song is about as easy as it gets, really...

perhaps tune normally?

3. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    Man Im so discouraged right now i feel like quitting...

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Get a metronome. Set it to a lower speed that you can play the riff perfectly at least three times in a row (or more for a shorter riff). You want to make sure you have it cold at this tempo.

Then keep increasing the speed a notch or two until you cannot play it perfectly. Then drop back to the last speed you played it correctly. This will take a while.

Keep going until you can play it at say 108, 112, or even higher. Then dropping back to 104 will seem easy!

Note that many people have problems playing a repetitive pattern over and over correctly. It sounds easy, but it is also very easy to lose concentration.

Good luck.

5. Scronk

Scronk

Mar 25, 2004
    One thing that I find useful while playing this is to use the third and fourth fingers on the fretting hand to fret together at the third fret. This won't tire your hand out as much as playing it with one finger to one fret and you'll need to use less pressure from either finger while fretting it so you can move your fingers more fluently to the next note. It may feel weird doing this if you haven't done this before but it helps immensely.

As said before just taking the beat down to one you can play it cleanly at and then gradually working your way up to the real speed is invaluable.

6. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    I slowed it down to a slow 70bps and i can play it but everytime i play this riff my thumb on my fretting hand feels like its going to bend backwards... I lessen the pressure on the neck with it to almost none and the slightest pressure results in my thumb feeling like its going to bend backwards! it hurts... also... my forearm is getting a huge work out... getting hot! i think it might become sore by tomorrow... Im not sure if this is normal...

7. tww001

tww001

Aug 13, 2003
    Telford, PA
    There's a whole slew of excericise books out there that help the dexterity and strength of your left hand. One of my favorites is "Bass Fitness: An Exercising Handbook" by Josquin des Pres.

Other things to consider are trying softer strings and lowering you action. That could help tremendously. I personally use GHS Bass Boomers (the .45-.105 set, but I was using them before Flea put his name on them ;) ), they're really soft on my fingers but get a killer tone. If you need help lowering your action, check out this site: http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/action.html

8. Just takes practice really. You can lower action, get lower tension strings, etc. But really just practice getting it good at a slower speed, and slowly speed it up to 104, and even beyond that.