Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with graphite...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlapRumblefish, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Yes, that is a pretty good idea!

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. No, you would be an idiot to do that!

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey every1!
    I'm thinking about buying a new graphite neck to use on my Singray 4, but I need to know a few things first. One thing is, has anyone else done this before, and was there a good outcome? Also what companies make graphite necks that I could buy? What are the general price ranges of graphite necks? And feel free to include ANY other info that you think I should know. I really appreciate your help!:)Thanks

-FSR

p.s.
    I've checked out alot of Modulus Graphite basses and really like the neck feel and sound. Also, I would like to be able to change between the graphite neck and Stingray neck whenever I want... is that possible/practical?

2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I know of two companies that have replacement graphite necks for Stingrays:

Status Graphite http://www.status-graphite.com
    Moses http://www.mosesgraphite.com

I've never had my hands on one before. The Moses neck is the same dimensions (at least nut width) as the original Stingray neck while the Status one is more like a jazz bass (1-1/2" at the nut IIRC).

Steve Dude Barr is a Moses dealer and has put a Status neck on a bass, I think. You might check out the info at his Dudepit to see if you can find anything there.

If you do go ahead I'd really like to see your impression/review of it. I considered putting one of the Moses necks on my L2000 but decided I'd rather trade for a bass with the neck dimensions I like from a manufacturer. I was afraid of spending a bunch of cash to get it done and then not liking it.

3. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks craigb, the Status graphite necks look pretty awesome and there's one just for the Stingray:)! The only thing I found saw that might be a problem was the price:(. I had no idea they are that expensive! But I'm still considering it so if there's anyone else with suggestions or information, please share!
    Thanks

-FSR

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    For $525 for a 5, $325 for a 4 :eek: , it made me change my mind about replacing the necks just for band-i mean theres no way i can afford either of the necks-if something happens to my necks on the pilot & jazz i'm gettin warmouth-$180 or so a neck-thats what i like to see :D

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh sweet Jebus! YES! I can get a graphite neck! Well thanks a heap Craig...now I gotta figure out a way to work in a Graphite necked instrument into my list of basses. Well...that might mean I have to re-idea my future Frankenbass projects...(as they currently sit- Replace body on Ibanez w/ Warmoth parts. Hey, I like the neck, what can I say. and now, A Moses graphite neck on a Warmoth body. Both woulbe be 4 strings....)

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why replace the body on the Ibanez? Why not just make a whole new bass?

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Because I really like the neck. Like an old buddy, know what I mean? And, as it stands, the body is a POS, so with a new body/hardware/electronics it'd be worth saving. To me anyway.

8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Why you're so very welcome Brandon ;) . I keep eyeing the Moses necks and thinking frankenstein thoughts myself. I just have this fear of putting together something I really don't like. I've found that a 1-5/8" wide at the nut neck works really well for me and the Moses Stingray/G&L replacement neck (both 4 & 5 strings according to their site) is that size. So if my current Musicyo Steinie 5 experiment goes well I may have to look into putting together a 1-5/8" nut graphite neck 5-string. It would be unique, that's for sure. My current love of the MTD Beast 4 would lead me to put jazz-style pickups in it, maybe on a jazz-shaped body (so I can have a pickguard and control plate) as well even though they don't fit well on a normal guitar stand. I figure it would cost less than $1K to put it together but raising that cash would take some time. At some point I will frankenstein, doing as much of it as I can myself, I just fear putting that much cash into it.

If you like the Ibanez neck then go for it. I've moved into the camp that comfort should come first so if that neck is your thing then build around it. I had an old soundgear 400 I grew to hate (including the neck) but later had a musician that was one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played. I was kind of "anti-ibanez" for a while but realized that was just name bashing - if you like it, it feels good and makes sounds you like then it is good.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. I'm heading/in that comfort camp. So what if it's not really all that practical? I thought I hated my Ibanez for the first 6 months I had it. I was wrong. Actually, my custom 6 is gonna have the same string spacing as my Ibanez. It's just like a glove, you know?

...And I'll tell you what Craig, I'm with you on that fear of not liking a creation. What if it turns out I really hate Moses necks? I dunno. But I do know i love graphite necks all to peices. But it's a buttload of money for a whole bass, including the Moses necks. So I'll have to see what the Money fairy has planned for me in the next coupla years.

and lastly...I have a cousin Named Brandon. The confusion is endless...

10. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Oops, sorry about that Brendan - just call me Greg a few times and we'll be even.