1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help with GSR 200 and similar basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by todd_freeride, Nov 21, 2006.

1. todd_freeride

todd_freeride

May 8, 2006
    so I think I'm going to return my GSR 100 to GC, because I didnt realize the GSR 200 was only 20 bucks more. we were rushed at GC, but like, the GSR 200 kind og confused me. because of the nob arrangement. I'm guessing that it would be two volume's (one for the P split pickup and one for the J, correct ?) then the tone, but whats the fourth smaller one ? also can someone tell me wich nob controlls what ? ( as if standing the bass up. ie bottem does this, left does this, right does this, top does this ) thanks so much for all your help. BUT, so any of you think its worth going back and getting the 200 VS the 100 ? I mean I do like the color of my silver GSR 100, and its set up perfictly. but is the GSR 200 worth the extra cash ?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Worth the extra money? Yes and no. I personally prefer just a P pickup on a fretted bass, and therefore it would not be worth it to me, however, I'm assuming you're a relative beginner and don't have an arsenal of instruments to grab when the time arises. In this case, I recommend the more versatile GSR200 IF you can play it first and feel it is of equal playability and you like the color.

From what I can tell, it's a V/V/T/T setup, meaning each pickup has a volume and a tone knob. I do believe the two closer to the headstock would be the volumes and the tones would be farther towards the bridge.

3. todd_freeride

todd_freeride

May 8, 2006
    well, I have a Squier P bass (that I have almost the perfict set up dialed in, yay !) and I have a MIM Jass bass. so I do have a couple of different axes. I bought the soundgear, as something to take back and forth to school. because my squier is kind of special to me (my first bass) and my MIM is pretty nice to be hauling around.

as for as the configureation on the GSR 200. I think it might be two volumes, one tone and something else. because the nob is smaller and at guitar center said "boom" on it. active pickup controll maybe ?

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Okay, then it's one of the older GSR200's. I believe it has a bass boost. Not 100% sure, but I think that's what it is.

I think the current model is entirely passive.

5. The GSR 200 was my first and only bass until recently, and that little knob is a bass boost, called the Phat knob or something like that. Anyways, love that little bass, and I'm thinking of pimping it out for old times' sake. Maybe new tuners, pups, badass bridge and maybe making it passive. Exciting.

6. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    I have a GSR205. Yes, that extra knob is bass boost and it's awesome.

7. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    i have never turned the bass bosst knob down, it just sounds so phat and i wanna be phat all the time. its awesome. great little guitar i think.

8. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's totally worth it. The 200 is an amazing little instrument. I love the neck, at least on mine.

9. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Me too! It'll do me fine till I can afford a SR505. 99% my perfect bass. :ninja: :)
    Stan

10. IMO, and I'm being a little biased here becuase it was the first bass I bought when I joined my band. I'd stay with the GSR100, it's just a workhorse. It's also simple just tone and volume and a P pup, that's all ya need in life, pair it up with a sansamp and it sounds even better, atleast mine does. Just go with which ever one speaks to you.

11. The small knob is the ACTIVE part of this bass. It simply kills or adds bass for different styles of playing (slapping, picking, fingering ect.) this is my first bass, and I love it. Although, it does get boring after a while

12. I love mine, I never use the boost though, except for doing volume effects

13. Crane

Crane

May 26, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Bottom: Tone
    Left: Bass Boost
    Right: J Pickup volume
    Top: P Pickup volume