Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with HD swap IDE->SATA

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Dec 22, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I bought a Seagate 7200.7 SATA hard drive and a VScom Serial ATA-150 PCI controller. I ran Seagate's free program "Discwizard for Windows" and that transferred everything from my old HD to the new HD for me. The new drive is D: and seems to be operating fine.

So now the question is - can I somehow just make the new SATA drive C: now and start booting from it and if so how would I do that? Would there be some hassle involved with that? Basically I'd like to just go ahead and remove the old HD (which has been making me nervous for a while now with some spotty performance issues) and set it aside. Just not sure about the issues involved when the mobo is set up for IDE and the new drive is SATA running off a PCI controller.

Thanks.

brad cook

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah, one more thing that's happening. Since I installed the PCI Controller and HD, every time I restart or shut down and then restart Windows seems to see it as an improper shut down and tries to run the scan disk and everything. That also causes problems with Zonealarm because when you come back from an improper shut down zonealarm wants a proper reboot, and my computer won't register a proper shutdown and reboot now.

brad cook

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Is the software you used anything like Ghost (did it transfer the OS)? You may be able to set the jumper to "master" on the SATA and "slave" on the old drive or just remove it. There is a Win98 shutdown patch available from Microsot, but I believe that it is not for ME. ME is known as the Mistake Edition.

4. If i remember right with SATA drives you no longer have to worry about the master/slave jumper settings? i really cant remember tho

Aslong as the Sata drive is the one set to load windows from in the Bios you shouldnt have a problem, controller card or otherwise, but, if it is set in the bios, i dont know, sorry

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, it turns out I was just thinking about it too much and the simple solution which appears to have worked was to detach the old drive. Duh.

Yeah, it basically made a dupe of what was on the old drive on the new drive. Now it boots from that drive just fine and Windows automatically designated that as C: drive when I detached the former C: drive. I don't think there are any jumpers to set on a SATA drive.

Yes, I'm aware that WinME is total shiite. :)

brad cook

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah, and take it from me...if you're ever going to ghost your hard drive over to a new one be sure and clear out your temporary internet files first. You could save yourself well over an hour in the transfer. :scowl:

brad cook

7. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    For the future (assuming you were referring to XP):

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was referring to ME as I noted in the first post but that might be helpful to someone else who finds this thread some time.

brad cook

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Glad it worked out Okay for ya.

10. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    And I thought I read carefully! My apologies, good sir.

11. Glad you got it sorted, these things are a pain!