Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with high powered tube heads.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VS, Apr 29, 2004.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I'm looking for a high powered tube head for a custom rig setup. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Luke

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    There's quite a few out there... I'm going to assume that "high powered" means at least 200W.

Mesa 400/400+
    Mesa Buster
    Ampeg SVT
    Ampeg SVT-II/-II Pro
    Fender/Sunn 300T
    Eden VT-300
    Phil Jones T-500 ;)
    Orange AD200B
    Marshall VBA400
    Peavey Classic 400
    Aguilar DB 359
    Trace Elliot V-4/V-6/V-8

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. That's just heads, not including all tube power amps. Can you be more specific about what tone you want, what type of music you play, how much $$ you have...?

Regardless, my vote goes for Mesa.
    :bassist:

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Any chance you could be a little bit more specific? Price range, size, weight, how much power, etc?

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    400+: 300 watts, 4 space. New ones are like $1400.00, heavy.

Orange AD200B: 200 watts, head style. List price $1900.00 or so, heavy.

Fender Bassman/ Sunn 300T: 300 watts, head style. New are around $1300.00 I think, heavy.

Thats really the only ones I looked into buying (went with 400+) I am sure the gaps will get filled by others.

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    If you mean the Mesa Boogie 400+....they say that's 500 tube watts and I'm pretty sure they're right :).

6. 300W. At best. :D

Can't get 500W continuous from 12 6L6s!

Get a 70s SVT and be done with it! ;)

7. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Size=Not important
    Price=Under $1,500.

I play in a progressive,jazz rock band. I play 6-7 string basses. Preferably with at least a 9-band graphic equalizer. I have thought of getting the SVT-4 Pro,just for it's versatility and extreme power,but I'm looking towards tube heads now. Sorry about not being specific,I was pretty tired when I posted earlier. -Luke

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Might also want to consider tube power amps to go with a seperate pre. Mesa, Aguilar, and Trace come to mind, and Marshall may have done a few high-powered ones, but I'm not sure.

9. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Thanks Marc Reccord.

10. :D

It's still a kick-ass amp though. Loud as hell too!

11. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    For the price range you want, I'd say your best choices are Mesa, Ampeg, and Fender/Sunn. All of these can be found used for under $1000. The Mesa and Ampeg are the most common all-tubers on eBay. The SVT Classic (or the original SVT) does not have a graphic EQ. The SVT-II has a 9-band, and it's a rackmount amp, if that matters. The Mesa 400/400+ is rackmount as well, and has a 6 or 7-band EQ, depending on the model year.

The SVT-4 Pro is a great amp too. I'd say the tube amps are on par with it as far as volume goes. All of them are, as Mark Reccord said, loud as hell. You need to decide if you really want that all tube power section. I won't get into the arguement of how frequently tubes should be replaced, but the maintenance of these amps is more than a SS amp. Just something to consider.

I think you'd be happy with any of the amps mentioned here. I hope this helps.

12. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Thanks for the help guy's,this is why I love Talkbass. As of right now,I'm kinda set on the SVT-4. We'll see how things go though. -Luke

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    If you want the best all-tube head you can find, find a Sunn 300T. I've compared it to everything listed except the Phil Jones, Orange, Marshall, Peavey, and Trace Elliot heads. Of course, I guess that only leaves the Ampegs, the Eden, the Aggie, and the Mesa, but anyways.....

The only one that I was more impressed by was the Aggie. The tone on the Aggie (of course, through a Bergie HT322) was EXTREMELY fat and sounded great, but I still don't think I'd give up my 300T for it. The 300T is *SO* versatile and can get at least close to the Aggies warmth, but it can also do so much more than the Aggie.

Do yourself a favor and at LEAST try one out. Don't be put off by the Fender name--I personally have never been highly impressed with Fender amplification, and definitely wouldn't rank it with Ampeg or Aguilar, but the Sunn/Fender 300T is a completely different beast.

EDIT: FWIW, I think the 300T blows away every Ampeg available except maybe a 70's SVT, which I've never actually played. The newer SVT's just don't measure up, IMHO.

14. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Thanks Ty,I'll do that. ;) -Luke

15. No it isn't.

16. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Alright, I stand corrected. I'm in no position debate about tube amps with you. :D

Should I rephrase my statement, to clarify this? How about this: Replacing tubes can be expensive, but with proper tube care, you won't need to to this for MANY, MANY years. Sound about right, PBG? :)

17. Quite important question: Which cabinet do you plan to use?

Jure

18. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Trace Elliot V4 and 1524 cab!
    Fatter than an elephant on steroids!! :hyper:

19. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Acme B2 and an as yet undecided subwoofer. -Luke

20. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Do yourself a favor and A/B the SVT-4 with an all-tube SVT. I bought an SVT-4 a few years ago because I thought it would a good alternative to my '76 SVT. I had the opportunity on a two night gig to use one the first night & the other the second. The hybrid went back to the store immediately after - no comparison. The tube amp absolutely smoked it. :rolleyes: