1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with identifying strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Farfetched, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Got these from an older guy. If it helps, he said it was on a vintage Hohner. Any ideas? 1Vzb8eb.

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Black tapes,
    but don't know whose-
    I like the way the overwraps near the barrels don't bunch up in a thick wad like some I've seen, that won't fit thru some bridges.

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    That doesn't look like tapes aka wound flat nylon. That looks like heat shrink tubing over the whole string lol.

Linnin likes this.
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Ha, yeah, thought I saw some some wrap lines in the coils, but not on closer look, and none at the ball ends.
    Sorta like Plasti-Dip w/o getting it in the barrels.
    Would be something if you could treat nylon tapes with heat like heat-shrink tubing and the wraps would blend together,but that won't happen with nylon.
    They sure do look like someone slid a plastic tube over them and shrank it, tho.

5. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Yea I've never seen anything like them before. Haven't tried tapes before, but don't think they are. They do have a plasticity feel to them. I might just have to try them out for myself.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I think this is how they were made back on the day. I vaguely remember a thread wth tapes like these and they were old rotosound or fenders.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^ Agreed! ^^^ They aren't tapes. They're coats.

8. Yes those look like tapewound.

9. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    What do they look like on the tuner end?