Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with identifying unknown Epiphone bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by otomak, Mar 25, 2003.

1. otomak

otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hi guys, I need some help identifying this Epiphone bass. I was kind of reluctant to post it here at first since it could be a killer bass at an unbelievable price (and all you bass lovers would snag it up in seconds), or it could be a horrible waste of money, which I would have suffered greatly from.

Heres the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2517870924

I've emailed the seller and he says it's about 20 years or so old and can't locate the serial number, but has found prints on the neck plate stating "Steel Neck Adjstable Made In Japan". I've checked with Epiphone's website and their blue book file, and it stated that the Epi basses made in Japan were always stamped with iffy serials, so there wasn't a really sure fire way of knowing where and when it was produced. I've asked one their forum about it and a certain Bob was kind enough to help me out. He thinks the bass was from the 70's, but isn't too familiar with Epi's basses from that era.

To me, the bass looks very similar to all of the MIJ Epi guitars that were made in the 70s/80s, but I've never seen a bass like this. I've searched the net and there's next to nothing on this bass. It could be a hacked frankenbass of some sort or it could be some lost relic of fine electric bass craftsmenship.

If any here has any info or comments on old epiphone basses, I would really appreciate 'em.

Thanks in advance,
    Mak

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had one back in the '70s like that but with a white pickguard. The model was ET-285. Mine was a '76. I don't know if it is exactly the same model, but the only difference I see is the pickguard.

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    its worth 75 bucks even if it turns into a wall hanging.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I find this idea strange - I'm always trying to clear my home of "junk", not trying to fill it up, on the off-chance I might get a bargain! :confused:

5. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    nothing ventured nothing gained. if you get it and it doesnt work out, you can experiment with everything on it and gain some experience on working with the electronics, or defretting, or just rebuilding.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Meantime you have your house cluttered up with junk - no thanks!!

7. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Actually, the one I had wasn't a bad bass at all. I would own one again if I found one for a good price.

8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I would be bit weary, the seller has only one prior sale. CYA