Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with info on my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by trpullen, Aug 8, 2005.

1. I have a bass that I really know little about. I would like to be able to put a value on it, if for nothing else, insurance.

I bought it 10 years or so ago from a very elderly gent who said he bought it used in the '40s sometime. He played it for years in the local orchestra and on other musical side gigs. I played it with my bluegrass band and at my church when we did orchestral pieces. It really responds well to a bow. It is not as loud as an old Kay for bluegrass but has a great low fundamental.

If you can share any info on basses like this...and an approximate value, I would be grateful.

http://maxwebb.com/pullen/bass/

Thanks,

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Looks to be all plywood. Body is in good condition but that break in the neck is always a value killer even if seemingly solid. I'd say a value of 2k for insurance but you might have trouble selling it for that much.

3. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    A good setup would probably do a lot for the instrument. The bridge looks like garbage... feet not fitting well. The fingerboard is too thin. Neck doesn't seem to be set well, or something. Doesn't that look like low overstand? (whoops that's a hot topic around here) And it probably has one of those coat hanger tailpiece cords, too. All of that is taking away from the tone.

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Tough to tell from the pics, but it looks like there might be some top sinkage on that bass, particularly on the treble side...

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Ditto Tbeer's comments. The first thing I noticed was the poor fit of the bridge feet. A good setup might do wonders.

6. Thanks for the info so far.

You are correct, it is plywood.

The bridge is a replacement Aubert and has not been delt with in the 10 years since I first had it worked over when I got it. The bridge was replaced then.

By neck break, are you referring to the headstock split? It was like that when I got it and has not moved in 10 years...but I know what you are saying about value.

The tailpiece cords are some sort of stranded metal roping. What should it be for max tone?

Also, is there anything you would guess as far as age. Like I stated, it was purchased used in the 40s but...don't remember how old it was then. I think the seller guessed it was 20s-30s but...not sure.

Is there anything to the G.A. Pfretzschner name I should know?