1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with info on this Cort Curbow bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Soyboy, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Soyboy

Soyboy

Jun 8, 2017
    Hey everyone,

Someone local is selling this curbow bass for $155, initially I thought it was really unique because of the wood grain finish on the body and pickup which is really unlike some of the standard cort curbow models I keep seeing online. However, after a lot of research i'm starting to think this most likely falls in with models ranging from $100-300 right? Wanted to see what you guys think. The one thing unique to this bass from every other model i've been able to find online is the neck binding. The knob layout, single pickup style (probably bartolini mk1), the scooped neck bottom, and tuners all look standard issue for this style. The truss rod cover is missing which i'm sure is the black Cort truss rod cover.

I have no experience with these basses, my only other current bass is a 80's aria pro II tsb550 that someone switched the pickup for an emg pbass setup. Not sure I need this curbow but it is a decent price for a seemingly versatile studio bass.

Thanks for any insight

Attached Files:

• cb1.jpeg
      cb1.jpeg
      File size:
      280.3 KB
      Views:
    • cb2.jpeg
      cb2.jpeg
      File size:
      161.8 KB
      Views:
    • cb3.jpg
      cb3.jpg
      File size:
      94.6 KB
      Views:
  2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Wow,now that has been played!

3. yeah lots of pickup cover wear!
    sure is good lookin' tho, I bet it's worth that $$

4. I think this is a lot of wear for the price. I sold a fretless for this price 3 years ago (see pic). So unless the electronics justify the price, I'd pass.

Attached Files:

5. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    These are decent basses but not in the same league as your TSB which I think are one of the most under rated basses out there. If you are looking for a beater to have around it should be fine but if you are thinking of an alternative to the TSB you will be disappointed.

6. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014
    Livingston, MT
    the thing is, that's not wood. it's made of "luthite," (NOT lucite) which is a fancy name for some kind of plastic. the fingerboard is some kind of synthetic as well. it was all the rage in the early 00's.
    I had one for about two months, although mine was fretless, so your experience might vary wildly. I loved, loved, loved how it played (which made sense when I played an actual Curbow). but it was a nightmare getting a usable tone out of it. everything always sounded like, well, plastic. thin and hollow. what's worse is that it had this really strange tendency to overload its own pre-amp, so the signal would distort before it even reached the amp. it was fully active, but you couldn't boost anything without it farting out, so it was always flat and lifeless.
    tellingly, the previous owner had used (super-light) roundwounds and they left little white grooves across the fingerboard where the outer layer was ground off. it didn't really affect anything, but it just added to the cheapness feel, and was a constant reminder of what it was actually made of. again, no real sonic impact, but a psychological one.
    I ultimately sold it. while I loved how it played, I just couldn't get over how awful it sounded.
    I don't think I ever bothered to play a fretted version, but this was when Cort wasn't as respected as it is today (if that can be believed). like I said, your results may vary wildly. frets do have an impact. and, for that price, it could be worth donking around on, so long as you know what you're getting into.

sorry for the essay. this plus a nickel won't buy sh**. just my experience.

knight of ni likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021