Help with intonation! Super flat bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MaryMary, Jan 29, 2021.

1. MaryMary

MaryMary Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Planet Earth
    I have a fretless bass that is frustrating me. The first neck had a bum truss rod... the company, thankfully, sent me a new neck. Put it on. It is SOOOOOoooooooo flat! I have done the thing of moving the saddles on the bridge up, basically as far as they will go. Still quite flat. Help! What else can I do?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Are you sure it’s the correct scale length and number of “frets” for your bass?

3. MaryMary

Jan 12, 2020
    Planet Earth
    The replacement neck is the same length as the original, which was able to intonate properly. It's just like the original neck. It's so strange. Yes, 34" scale.

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Is the neck seated in the pocket properly? Maybe it isn't in quite as far as the old one? (Just grasping at straws here.)

MaryMary likes this.
  5. MaryMary

Jan 12, 2020
    Planet Earth
    I’ll check it later. Worth a try...

bholder likes this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The only other thing I can think of is that the new neck being straighter makes it just longer enough to cause a problem for the bridge position - may require moving the bridge forward? Hard to believe, but I suppose it could happen. Maybe a real luthier will chime in soon....

MaryMary likes this.
  7. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    How does the action compare between the old and new necks?

If your old neck had a lot of relief, putting the strings relatively high off the fingerboard, then they would stretch a bit as you played, which would naturally pull the notes sharp. If your new neck has less relief and a lower action, that could be a factor.

MaryMary and bholder like this.
  8. MaryMary

Jan 12, 2020
    Planet Earth
    That's a possibility... the old neck's truss rod was broken for a while. I'll see what happens if I add a little relief.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Fretless that's flat? Sounds like a technique problem to me.

Tritone, CatchaCuda and ctmullins like this.
  10. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Pictures? Is it lined? If not, how are determining the 12th position?

Thank you,
    John

11. MaryMary

Jan 12, 2020
    Planet Earth
    My technique isn't THIS flat, believe me!

No, not lined. It has side dots. So here's the deal. I just measured. Nut to bridge, 34". Great. Nut to 12th fret dot? Approximately 16 1/3 inches!!! Oh!!! That's the deal. The side dots (at what would be 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 12th frets) are way off! Ugh. The first neck stunk, and this one is marked incorrectly. Grrr.

12. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    So it is marked at the fretted fret marker positions, right?

13. MaryMary

Jan 12, 2020
    Planet Earth
    Yes, it's marked at what would be the fretted fret marker positions, but it's way off.

14. MaryMary

Jan 12, 2020
    Planet Earth
    In other words... mystery solved. I need to paint over the dots on the side and put my own markings on.

dwizum and ctmullins like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021