1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help with jazz bass ID

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wooten Wannabe, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Wooten Wannabe

Wooten Wannabe

Nov 28, 2004
    Had some bad gas and found this bass. Plays and sounds great and I like it a lot! And really that's all that matters...However, I can't fully ID what I have and I'm very curious as to what I bought.

Details:
    The neck plate has a serial number that begins with an "L" which can't be original.
    There are no other serial number and no "made in ...." anywhere.
    It has the grounding wire between the bridge and bridge pickup.
    Front of headstock tinted darker the rear
    Pots all "M250K Ω A"
    Neck (where it meets neck pocket) has "2 JB-355 Z T" No date written on end of neck
    all I can see on neck pocket is a "2" and a very faded JB
    Note placement of "offset contour body" on headstock
    No markings on tuners

Please feel free to ask questions that might help. Thanks in advance!

24nle74.

moig9.

a2rc5k.

1z2kccz.

2cfchsw.

ifncjk.

2dwf4o.

ngoxt.

10wr98n.

kd4ll3.

2. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    Looks like a Japanese Fender from the late 80s or early 90s. My Japanese 89 neck has the same tuners. The "Made in Japan" was probably removed and the L plate fabricated to make it appear more authentic.

3. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    L-Series (1963 to late 1965)
    Serial number on neckplate preceded with an "L". Considered Pre-CBS (even though CBS bought Fender in January 1965). Sometimes an "L" serial number can be seen on a late 1962 model. Used on Telecaster, Stratocaster, Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Jazz Bass, Precision bass and other models. Lots of overlap in numbers from adjacent years. Don't read too much into these serial numbers, it's not the best way to date a Fender guitar.

L00001 to L20000 = 1963
    L20000 to L55000 = 1964
    L55000 to L99999 = 1965

I found this here:
    Vintage Guitars Info - Fender, collecting vintage guitars fender stratocaster, strat, telecaster, tele

Edit: tdizzle makes a good point. It didn't even cross my mind that it would be a MIJ :smug:

4. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    i know exactly what it is... its an non US pupped Fender MIJ 62 RI from around 91/92 if the neck plate is original.... not sure where my other post has gone??????

ahhh you duplicated your post...