Help with Jazz bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by superfly, Sep 9, 2004.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I have a Fender USA jazz bass. Its a couple yrs old, mint cond. I just bought it used, and the salesman gave me some Rotosound 66ers strings. I don't like them. They are too bright and trebley for my taste. I am new to bass, but I know I like a more "traditional" sound. Less treble ,more warm and round sound. I've messed with my amp settings, but still too much "thinness" to the string sound. Any suggestions for strings?
    What difference in sound ,and what are the pluses and minuses of flat wound strings over round wound?
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Some players like flat wound strings on their fender Jazz basses. I personally don't. I believe those rotos are steel wound strings. Too trebley for my taste also they eat up frets. Try some nickelwound strings like GHS bassboomers or SIT Nickel wounds or even the Fender Nickel wound strings. Nickelwound strings still have some brightness at first but lose some of it as you break them in. Also easier on your frets and fingers.
  3. Try DR Low Riders
    They are slightly compressed Round wounds. Easy on the fingers, easy on the frets, and a more traditional soiund.
  4. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Flatwounds are great on jazz basses. That's the way jazz basses were outfitted to begin with. If you like a more traditional sound, flatwounds will do it, especially nickel flats or tapewounds.
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Try D'Addario nickel wounds. They make two sets that I like:
    EXL160 .50-.105
    EXL170 (I think that's the model #) .45-.100