Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help with learning to play URB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Big K, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Big K

Big K

Mar 3, 2004
    Summerville SC
    I have been playing EB for about 15 yrs. I started with country gospel and then learned classic rock/blues. Most recently my cousin and I have been learning a lot of Brian Setzer's covers from both his orchestra and trio. We hope to possibly start a cover band in our area.
    I rented an URB from a local music store. It is a "Karl Reiser" 3/4 with ebony fretboard and tailpiece. It is a plywood bass. I ordered a Bassmax pickup from Bob Gollihur's website and it sounds okay to me. I'm using an old Barcus Berry preamp from the 80s my cousin had tucked away. I have been coming along pretty good with the slow songs and am getting better at the faster songs. I now am considering
    purchasing my own URB. I seem to like the Englehart swingmaster and ES 1 the best from what I have heard and for the price. Any suggestions? Also, what kind of strings should I get for this style of music? I think the rental bass has orchestra strings but am not too sure. Please post any info and opinions that could help me get started.
    Thank you. Kev

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Kev, welcome to TB, a lot of the info that could help you is already posted in the form of Newbie Links, at the top of each section of that forum. Please take the time to read them, you'll be amazed by the amount of good advice and general info that's contained in those Newbie Links. Kays and Englhardt basses are covered too.

3. Big K

Big K

Mar 3, 2004
    Summerville SC
    Thank you. I didn't know there was a newbie link. I appreciate the help.

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    You're welcomed. No problema. It's just to avoid too much redundancy, but be assured a lot of TBers are willing to share their advice on your specific questions.

5. Welcome Big K!
    And a big thanks to olivier for sending BK to the newbie links. It seems that there are more and more people either starting DB cold or coming over from the electric bass....these posts can get awfully boring and as O. says, redundant, if we take up a lot of time and room addressing eveybody's newbie questions.
    This, of course is only my opinion, and i'm ALL in favor of making every new bassist welcome to the fun here...So, again, welcome Big K and your questions and opinions are more than welcome!!

6. Kev...I have a question for you. What is a "cover band"?

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    A band that plays other peoples music instead of writing original tunes.

8. Big K

Big K

Mar 3, 2004
    Summerville SC
    I think someone else posted a response, but a cover band is a band that plays music already performed by another artist. In most towns the bands play popular songs written by various artists.
    These kinds of bands are usually called "cover" bands.

9. Swell....Why?

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this bemused me when I first started posting on TB - so I had never heard the term used. So - I know that people "cover" tunes in amongst their set - but I had never heard anybody say - oh we're a covers band.

So - I had heard of "Tribute bands" - who try to replicate as closely as possible the experience of gong to see the Beatles, for example. But I never see "covers bands" advertised anywhere and it's not the sort of thing I would look out for - although when I said this before around here, someone pointed out that they had played in a 'covers band' in my home town - but really it's not a term I would use and I don't see any bands advertised as such...:meh:

So - in Jazz, virtually every band will do standards or take a tune they like from elsewhere - it's all just material to be played with and altered, re-harmonised, soloed over etc. etc.

So - nobody would ever think of calling the Brad Mehldau trio - a covers band - but they do take other people's tunes and play them! It's just part of a long Jazz tradition and taken for granted.

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    The difference, I think, is in jazz let's say your playing "Well You Needn't". You play the intro as written since that's the songs hook. Then once in the body of the song it's inprovisation and solos over the chord changes. In pop music a cover band wants to play it as note for note as possible.

Around here it's much easier to get gigs if your a cover band. And you get paid more too.

Seems people want to get drunk listening to the same music they heard on rock radio on their way to the bar. :meh:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I suppose the point I was making was that I just don't see such a thing where I live - so there are lots of live bands - a good Jazz club and many other venues. But the only advertising I see is for bands playing their own material, or for Jazz, Classical etc. - I have no doubt that in some pub, somewhere near me, a band is churning out other people's tunes as closely as they can to the recording - but I never see or hear the phrase "cover band" used or written.

I've often seen the term "Tribute Band" used, though....

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Obviously it's an American term. Does it come from "Cover tunes" ?

Gotta go, maybe will find out on monday. Y'all have a good WE

14. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I am in a classic rock cover band. We play songs in our setlists, or cover, the gamut of classic rock from the 50s to the 80s. Cover bands can have all sorts of focuses musically, but generally, they play mostly, if not 100% songs that are not original compositions.

For example, there are tons of rock bands that "cover" Little Red Rooster, a blues tune by Muddy Waters (hope I am remembering the orignal author correctly). Anyway, the Rolling Stones and the Grateful Dead have covered that song live on on a record.

In Jazz, there may or not be a equivalent term for this..

15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I don't know if cover band is an American term, but I do know it was pretty common even 20 years ago when I started dabbling in this stuff.

You'll hear "They're a cover band" or "we do covers." Sometimes even "we cover that song" and other variations thereof.

I am all but sure it is a term exclusive to more mainstream popular music. Rock, country, etc.

As mentioned, it is common in jazz to do standards, and you certainly wouldn't consider a orchestra to be covering a Tchaikovsky tune. :)

Perhaps we avoid this consideration in these cases because jazz and even classical are more about the actual experience of making music, whereas pop is really more about something else for most people.

Pop music is really more a vehicle for social commentary, mindless babble or something in between than anything else. I think that is why it is so trendy and circular.

You often hear a pop singer/player refer to themselves as an artist or poet. Whereas jazz and/or classical players call themselves musicians. Not to suggest that any of these terms are mutually exclusive, but I think I am making a valid point.

16. sejarus

sejarus

May 8, 2002
    Milwaukee
    Shawn Colvin recorded an album named "Cover Girl" a while back, so called because it was all "covers" of songs previously recorded by other artists. So it's a pretty widely-used term.