Help with lots of Warwick amp stuff (long)...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theblackshade, Feb 7, 2005.

1. First I was going to ask you guys about low output level on Quadruplet preamp but doing a search has confirmed my fears, so I guess I will use it for recording and perhaps I will get a pair of good active monitors so I can use it as a tube practice amp at home where quiet volume is not an issue, but this has brought another problem...

You know it, the cold sweat, the anxiety... GAS!! :D

I've been GASsing for a Warwick head during months, and somehow I managed to resist despite the posibility of getting a good deal on most of their gear (new). But now I'm taking my pre out of my setup so I have two possibilities search for another pre to match my power stage input sensivity or succumb to GAS, sell the power stage and get the head.

I'm 99% convinced about the second option but I have some doubts.

I'm undecided between the quad VI or the Protube IX.

I know both of them offer hybrid, and true hybrid (full tube amp driving a dummyload and a final linear SS power stage) I tried the Protube IX and I liked the sounds I got from it. But I'd like to know how does the Quad VI sound, is it very similar to the quadruplet pre? Any users out there?
    Also I liked the fact that with the protube heads you have the possibility to go all SS, cause they have two preamps, one of them SS, that not only allows channel switching (footswitch) but also if one preamp goes dead just before or during a gig you still have the other. Despite rackcases tubes don't like hard jolts and accidents happen. It's a bit like a backup amp within the amp.

Other of my concerns is weight. I'm small and whimpy :D so more than 70 lbs is going to be pretty though on me. Shockmount raks ala SKB or mesa boogie provide great air circulation, but they also add to the weight. The protube IX is 49 lbs so If I could manage to tightrack it in a SKB standard 3U rack it would go up just to 60 lbs approx. The problem is that this leaves like 1/4" clearance for air circulation at the sides. The head is fan cooled from sides to rear. The tube channel being preamp doesn't get extremely hot so what do you think, would it be damaged in this situation?

The Quad VI is fan cooled from front to rear so no problems with that.

I can get the Protube nearly half price, the deal on the Quad is not as good. As you can see there are some pros and cons and I can't decide only based on my experience. So I beg you bass gurus to enlighten me with your knoledge (seriously, many TB posters here inspire me a great respect :) )

And the last thing I have noticed in the US pricelist that Warwick is going to release new amp gear, and by the short description it seem like the new TubePath heads could be worth the waiting, is there anybody who had the great fortune of attend this years NAMM and knows anything about this new Warwick heads?

Thanks for your help everybody, I've been lurking for a while and posting lately but this is my first "new thread"

PS Sorry for the length I hope I haven't bored you to death

2. Well, seems you have the same problem as I had (quadruplet's low output). I played Quad VI few times, and yes, the sound is very similar. The preamp is identical, power amp makes the difference (I run my Quadruplet to the POS mos-fet poweramp, so the sound was kinda fuzzy), the power section of Quad VI was definitely better. BTW, have you tried to pair Quadruplet with Stewart power amps? I just wonder, if it would give you enough volume.

Sorry, have not played Protube IX... I am not much of help here.

Good luck in your search.
  3. Thanks for your post ogar ;)

I had a hard time finding good power stages here in Spain in most places haven't heard about QSC, Stewart or the like so I finally end up buying Peavey which I know to be very reliable and decent priced.

About protube IX I know how it sounds and how most of its controls work, because I have been trying it in a shop recently (several times :D), but they had it unracked, and my main concern about the head, is the problem with having it in a standard rack case, where I know the vents wont be directly obstructed, but the total clearance between them and the rack walls would be not much bigger than 1/4", and I don't know If this is enough or the head will suffer stress because of overheating.
  4. Okay third and last bump

My doubts are only about the rack being not wide enough and the new warwick heads now (thanks to ogar).

Please guys! doesn't anybody know something about those new heads? :(
  5. I have the quad vi and a good friend of mine has the tube ix.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Both sound great.<o:p></o:p>

The ix has a solid state and valve preamp section so i guess is a bit more flexible but the sounds from the vi are also very good.<o:p></o:p>

Vi is 2u rather than 3 and i have it flight cased and it never gets warm at all. I used the ix for some recording last weekend and it did get warm and it wasnt even flight cased at all.<o:p></o:p>

The ix has loads of options with bi-amping / mono / stereo / full range etc. Blah blah blah and to be honest i dont understand it at all.<o:p></o:p>

The vi is more straight forward looks nicer imho with its big chrom handles and grills. And has more tubes glowing when you peer inside <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href=\"\" src="file:///C:DOCUME~1ChrisBeLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml1\01clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

Both are nice amps so i hope this is of some help.<o:p></o:p>

I love my quad vi!<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think all warwick amps lack headroom. I played a IV (I think) the one with heaps of knobs/sliders and two channels.. Sounded really nice though. Well worth it IMO.
  8. Thanks for your info stompfrog ;)

I finally decided a couple of weeks ago, now I'm waiting for the protube IX to arrive.

about the >> I do not know
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Are the pro tubes the ones with all the knobs and graphic eq etc? If so, nice choice. I own a Warwick Pro fet III at the moment, nice for the price, though lacks headroom. It'l soon be a Mesa Bass 400+ :D
  10. yes they are, but if mesa wasn't so expensive here I would surely play with that 400+ beast, what 's more, retubing can really get expensive in spain if you want to use quality tubes so I gave up on that after having the oportunity of getting warwick stuff real cheap.
  11. Is the Warwick preamp only an issue with QSC amps, or will they have problems driving a lot of power amps? It seems like the two pres I was interested (IOD and Quadruplet) can't push a power amp.
  12. IME Peavey PV series was not suitable, I think the problem with quadruplet is that it is very recording oriented, and its output is a bit low because of that.

I got a nice sound from that setup, but it was barely loud enough for the average metal band so I was driving the equipment pretty hard all the time.

Now I'm keeping it for recording purposes and to play at home either with quality headphones or an active studio monitor. I think it will one of the most expensive practice amps ever :D

I don't feel honest seeling it, knowing the issues with low output :meh:
  13. Kentucky Ryan

Kentucky Ryan

Feb 12, 2012
    so was the protube ix loud enough? ive heard mixed reviews?